the difference between a Dimebucker and an emg81!?

markuz j

• Members

that might sorta be what im lookin for! does it have the twang of say a fender but obviously more heavier!? like is it bright like an EMG but more i dunno...maybe less digital and sterile like you said? dont get me wrong, i can see how people say that both these pups have no warmth but i want a really bright humbucker that has that twangish vibe to it. not 100% metal, but still metal ya know what i mean!? if you ever heard of bands like (hed)pe,Taproot,Pulse Ultra,Rage, then thats sorta in the ballpark!

• Members

I've heard the Dimebucker sounds a lot better if you put it in upside down. I can't comform that.

I don't really like it myself, but it has some cool qualities. It's a really "quick" pickup with lot's of output, great harmonics, and really good chug. Into an amp with lot's of low-mids and smooth highs it'd sound pretty good.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

The Dimebucker is a bit better for cleans, but I hate it's distortion tone. It has a weird twang to it on single note riffs that I dislike. I don't really like EMG's either though. They're too digital and sterile for me, no thickness or warmth to them.

Exactly my same thought's minus the EMG comment's which of course were used on the Blackmore clip on my site you like alot.;) It also accentuates the pick sound when it hit's the string's when speed picking. Sound's like a Canary is going to fly out of the speaker cab "Chirp Chirp Chirp" IMO it's the worst pickup I ever put in a guitar.

Derek:cool:

• Members

originally posted by DerekB

Exactly my same thought's minus the EMG comment's which of course were used on the Blackmore clip on my site you like alot.
;)
It also accentuates the pick sound when it hit's the string's when speed picking. Sound's like a Canary is going to fly out of the speaker cab "Chirp Chirp Chirp" IMO it's the worst pickup I ever put in a guitar.

Derek:cool:

Haha, good description with the canary comment! I can think of worse pickups (Ibanez V8 for example) but yeah, the Dimebucker is pretty bad. Your EMG + Blackmore clips sound badass, and mine sound alright as well, but I just seem to prefer passives in person I guess. Or, it's just the Gibson tone I want! :D

• Members

emg are super pickups for metal,or anyother type of music that requires tight articulation. they are also great for clean sounds. i doubt that the dime bucker sounds better in cleans as the 81.

if you want the true dime tone, get the l 500xl by bill lawrence.

b.t.w. i think it sucks that guys like dime and zakk build their careers with a product ,ie bill lawrence pups, and then later get endorsement deals with bigger company's that try to replicate the original sound.

thats just wrong

• Members

originally posted by MRscratch

emg are super pickups for metal,or anyother type of music that requires tight articulation. they are also great for clean sounds. i doubt that the dime bucker sounds better in cleans as the 81.

The Dimebucker has a better clean tone. EMG's are garbage for cleans, well, the 81 at least. The 60 is better, but still not as good as pretty much any passive or single coil.

Archived