Fender, Marshall or Line6

Bryant05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I own a DSL50 (love it!), have played 800s, 900s, and one SL-X. For Fenders, I have played through a Twin, a Deluxe, a Princeton, and a million and one Champs.

For my own playing, the edge goes to Marshall. They have a sound that's more "alive" ... Fender has the best clean I've ever heard, ever. Especially the twin. Jazz-o-rama. And the Deluxe had one of the creamiest overdrives I've yet to hear. The Marshalls had a deep, brutal, satusfying crunch to them, and were capable of everything from blues to hard hard rock.

Not a Line6 fan... I've had several guitar students bring in Flextones and Spider IIs and whatnot, and I just didn't like them. Not to my taste.

So I vote Marshall.

• Members

Originally posted by Bryant05

Which amp do you prefer out of

Fender,

Marshall,

or

Line6

Mesa doesn't even make the list? :confused:

If I had to choose one of the three listed, I'd take an old Plexi, so Marshall. But, I am not a fan of any of Marshall's amps past the last JCM 800. My singer has a TSL 100, and while it has good tone, IMO it's built like a computer and he has had problems with the head ever since he got it.

I don't particularly find "Other" as a category for you to gain insight.

I like Line6 for the PODxt Live, which is part of my backup and wet/dry rigs, but for amps I like tubes.

• Members

Originally posted by guitaristbum

dont get me wrong, marshalls are great, but unless you want to spend $2000 for a good marshall, its not gonna sound good

not really,

i bought my MG250DFX for $500 and it sounds awsome, theres no other brand that i would go for if i had to buy another amp

• Members

Originally posted by BrassMonkey

I'll have to go with Fender. I can get some Marshall type tones out of a Fender, but can't get Fender type tones out of a Marshall.

And just for the record, I own both.

:)

Get a modern marshall that has two channels (clean/dirty) and put a compressor in front.

Not quite Fender, but close.

I use to do the two amp thing. I had a JCM 800 for overdrive, and a 80s Twin for cleans.

• Members

for what situation?

fender and marshall are 2 different beasts if you ask me. and 2 different flavors, i favor fender but i cant say any 1 is better - just better at different things.

so as far as that goes, it depends on what the situation was. if i were playing alot of clean stuff, even some blues id use the fender. if it were for a loud rock band with alot of crunch id use marshall all the way

if i were at home recording in a low volume situation i would use the line 6, yes over the other 2 (unless i could crank them - but sometimes thats not possible when the wife is home out of respect)

• Members

Originally posted by Bryant05

Which amp do you prefer out of

Fender,

Marshall,

or

Line6

I prefer to have all of the above. The line6 stuff has it's merits but didn't make it into my stable because I am lucky enough to have the REAL stuff. The Line6 stuff tries to emulate, The Fenders Marshalls Mesas Vox etc... I prefer to not have the recreation; I'd rather have the originals.

I still haven't taken a pic of my 1964 Blackface Super Reverb with the rest of the arsenal, but it's sitting with the rest of the bad boys. :D

Here's a pic:

zachs%20gear%20003.jpg

Archived