Testing the waters: My Mesa Mk IV for your...

yngzaklynch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

(Shaking head) +gozillion

Kage and Dan I know the Mk IV is a killer amp but theres something about Marshalls that sound smoother. It's in the mids and high end that I'm noticing whatever "it" is. Damn it sucks to be me.

• Members

Hey Buddy!
I have an idea!!!!!!
Jim, go and buy a Soldano sp77 preamp and run it into the loop bypassing the Mark IVs preamp. That way you still have the Boogie sound when you want it and you have a really really hotrodded Marshall sound when you want it and all for less than $400 bones out of pocket now!

I used to have a sp77 and used it with a Boogie 2:90 and it kicked all kinds of ass for metal and rock. Then I had the X88R and it was the same asskicking sound as well.!

Give it some thought!

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

Hey Buddy!

I have an idea!!!!!!

Jim, go and buy a Soldano sp77 preamp and run it into the loop bypassing the Mark IVs preamp. That way you still have the Boogie sound when you want it and you have a really really hotrodded Marshall sound when you want it and all for less than $400 bones out of pocket now!

I used to have a sp77 and used it with a Boogie 2:90 and it kicked all kinds of ass for metal and rock. Then I had the X88R and it was the same asskicking sound as well.!

Give it some thought!

Gary

Or even a Marshall JMP-1? I owned one of those like 10 years ago.

• Members

Never sell or trade your Mark or rectifier series Mesa amps...only a Mesa sounds like a Mesa. If you like the charecter of the tone at all hold on to it, or more than likely you will regret it down the line. I'm sure many forumites can confirm this statement. Just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Or even a Marshall JMP-1? I owned one of those like 10 years ago.

That would work too. Although I have never owned one SteveVHT does and loves it! I know he would give you setup pointers with it!

Gary

• Members

Kage and Dan I know the Mk IV is a killer amp but theres something about Marshalls that sound smoother. It's in the mids and high end that I'm noticing whatever "it" is. Damn it sucks to be me.

Try this EQ setting.

MarkIVmarshalleque.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

Hey Buddy!

I have an idea!!!!!!

Give it some thought!

Gary

and you still get the graphic EQ when you run it like this, and all the power options... which is why i'm looking for ANOTHER one now just to use as a power amp.

• Members

Have to do it tomorrow. The woman should be back from work soona dn I gots things to do. But I will give it a shot. Thanks.

Make sure you do. It's a "Marshall" setting that BrentSP gave me a while back. I posted a clip of the Mark IV with that setting and EVERYBODY thought it was a Marshall.

• Members

Originally posted by J.B.

Make sure you do. It's a "Marshall" setting that BrentSP gave me a while back. I posted a clip of the Mark IV with that setting and EVERYBODY thought it was a Marshall.

I will give that a try as well, thanks for the tip. I actually bought a marshall silver jubilee since I have to have that marshall sound, but I kept my mark IV :D

• Members

Looking at Marshall or Marshall like amps. A Slash or ZW head would be preferable although for the right deal I will consider a DSL. Amp must have an fx loop.

If I wasn't emotionally attached to my JMP, I'd do it in a flash. :D

Archived