What are Ritchie Blackmore's contributions to music?

rbm

• Members

I know he is awesome and all. I loved the Perfect Strangers album. But what exactly is his claim to fame as a musician?

I could gab all day about what Hendrix, Page, Hedges and other do and did, but I can't place exactly Blackmore's contribution other than some great tunes. What am I missing?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by rbm

I know he is awesome and all. I loved the Perfect Strangers album. But what exactly is his claim to fame as a musician?

I could gab all day about what Hendrix, Page, Hedges and other do and did, but I can't place exactly Blackmore's contribution other than some great tunes. What am I missing?

You don't think that Rainbow has/had a very distinct, trademark sound? Or, are you not concerned with the band, only Blackmore? If only Blackmore, what qualifies as a "contribution" to you?

• Members

I think that I do not undertstand the question.....

When I think RB, I see and hear:

1. Wall of Marshalls

2. RJD or Ian Gillan

3. Great (and new?) compositional ideas - e.g. 'trademark' classical runs with heavy metal etc.

4. Awesome vibrato/slide

5. 10s of great songs spanning many years.

What's not to like?

• Members

Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Playing J.S. Bach runs on a distorted guitar.

Using echos live (tape-deck)

Playing intervalls that were forbidden at that time by the church (at least here).

Which songs had some Bach runs? A friend at work jams a lot of Rainbow and stuff, but I haven't heard a lot of the stuff closely. I'd definitely be interested in checking out some highlights if anyone has any suggestions.

Are you talking about Tritones? Did the church really try to ban them? I knew they were called the devil's interval, but I didn't know how long that lasted.

• Members

Just keep in mind what was available at that time of Made In Japan (1972) - okay, for the US guys there was MC 5 - Kick out the jams, but compared to Blackmore that was crap (but still cool - wasn`t the title differently before ?)

Btw: I have two Blackmore's Night albums. Some of the songs are really cool (esp. the instrumentals) - but mostly I`m using it when our new born needs to sleep - I want him to be indoctrinated with Blackmore - LOL :D

• Members

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Which songs had some Bach runs? A friend at work jams a lot of Rainbow and stuff, but I haven't heard a lot of the stuff closely. I'd definitely be interested in checking out some highlights if anyone has any suggestions.

Are you talking about Tritones? Did the church really try to ban them? I knew they were called the devil's interval, but I didn't know how long that lasted.

You see, Stevie, I grew up in the 70s and MiJ was our all time classic. The teachers vomitted just when they saw the cover with those long haired pot smokers doing "hard rock". And certain intervalls were obsolete for church organists - definitely.

The solo's of Highway Star, Still I`m Sad f.i. are immensely Bach inspired - but to get deeper into this, you need to ask somebody who knows more about theory. My former bassman (who is a good theorist) could explain that better, he always referred to certain solos of mine (crap of course), which I was thinking of being in Blackmore-styleish, as Bach-stolen. Thru a high gainer still cool today.

• Members

if it wasn't for Richie Blackmore I'd have never discovered the new "medieval" section of the catalouge

richie1.jpg

:eek: :eek:

In all seriousness, I have seen the guy play with DP once and he absolutely ROCKED! I mean come one, the guy wrote one of the most recognised guitar riffs ever - Smoke on the water!!

• Members

Blackers contribution to music? Hmm, he is one of the founding members of Deep Purple. Also, his amazing skill at judging talent in other musicians has helped propel the careers of Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, David Coverdale, Ronny James Dio etc .

Songs by Blackers?

He cowrote everything on In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Who do we think we are?, Burn, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers, House of blue light, Battle rages on & all the Rainbow albums.

He has inspired literally thousands of teenagers to learn to play guitar; some of those kids are now professional musicians in their turn. He is also the second most famous user of the Stratocaster, thus indirectly helping Fender sell truckloads of the axe to all the aforementioned teenagers. If one person can inspire thousands of others to learnt to play a musical instrument, that in itself is a huge contribution to music.

He also changed how rock music is composed/performed.

He used to be a moronic asshole, but he has apparently matured thanks to his fourth wife. The singstress in Blackmores Night.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

if it wasn't for Richie Blackmore I'd have never discovered the new "medieval" section of the catalouge

richie1.jpg

:eek:
:eek:

In all seriousness, I have seen the guy play with DP once and he absolutely ROCKED! I mean come one, the guy wrote one of the most recognised guitar riffs ever - Smoke on the water!!

cute get up..I do like his gf / wife...like to bend her over a barrel...

• Members

The first time I listened to real Rock music as a teenager was Deep Purple. I learned guitar listening and imitating Blackmore.

He's a Legend.

I am not the only teenager who was inspired by him- but like someone mentioned here- perhaps millions!

Malmsteen learned guitar by listening to Blackmore.

Archived