Price for a block letter 5150?

facefirst

• Members

Yeah, I've always wondered if there's any proof that Peavey actually did ANYTHING at all different between the "block letter" and the "signature" ones. You always hear people saying that the signature ones lack some of the tone of the block letter ones. It seems real doubtful that Peavey would change anything, other than possibly tubes if they chose to, when they simply decided to change the block letters to a signature. Must just be another Ebay "marketing" ploy!

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

EDIT: I think it's a blockletter one, even if it isn't, it doesn't matter. Everything is the same except the signature on the front of the amp.

Yep, the only thing different were the tube that came with them. And by this time, I would hope that the origonal tubes are long gone. :D

• Members

Originally posted by J.B.

Yep, the only thing different were the tube that came with them. And by this time, I would hope that the origonal tubes are long gone.
:D

That's what I heard from Peavey as well, I had a signature 5150 model with svetlana tubes and it kicked ass.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

Would trading my '86 JCM 800 2204 in excellent condition be a good or bad trade?

I wouldn't do it, if it sounds great and in excellent condition, I would keep it for life.

Also doesn't 2204's go higher $ than 5150?

• Members

The difference between the block letter and the script versions was the lettering which was changed to avoid litigation. Look it up if you don't believe me. And the tubes. The original tubes to ship in the first 5150s were Sylvania 6L6 tubes, quite possibly some of the best 6L6 tubes ever manufactured. When they ran out which just happened to be about the same time as the lettering change, Peavey had to change to a Chinese tube that at the time were no where near as good as the Sylvania tube. Thats why people say the older block letter versions sound better.

Gary

• Members

a mint blockletter head usually goes for around $650-700

i've been told by some people (who are as trustworthy a source as any) that the blockletter heads are exactly the same as the signature heads; the only difference being the stock tubes

i've spent plenty of time playing both of them, and to my ears neither one sounds better than the other...they sounded about AS identical as two tube amps can

but something to consider here...block letter heads will continue to have a higher resale value, the 'they are better' myth is set in stone with so many people these days

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

The difference between the block letter and the script versions was the lettering which was changed to avoid litigation. Look it up if you don't believe me. And the tubes. The original tubes to ship in the first 5150s were Sylvania 6L6 tubes, quite possibly some of the best 6L6 tubes ever manufactured. When they ran out which just happened to be about the same time as the lettering change, Peavey had to change to a Chinese tube that at the time were no where near as good as the Sylvania tube. Thats why people say the older block letter versions sound better.

Gary

BINGO!!!!

• Members

Can you still buy those Svetlana tubes, or were they some special production tubes just for the 5150's back then?

You can still buy them. Although they are no longer manufactured. Mesa also used that tube to design the Mark series of amps around. If you want to find them now you will have to go with NOS tubes (New Old Stock). They will be expensive but in most cases well worth the money you spend for them in life and tone IMHO.

Gary

• Members

Do you happen to know exactly what model they are?

I didn't see this question. Sorry. The tubes were if I am not mistaken Sylvania 6L6GC tubes. If you have a hard time finding these another GREAT tube is JAN-Philips 6L6WGB. The JAN designation stands for Joint Army Navy. These tubes were developed with the military application of tubes in mind. They

will usually stand much more abuse and last longer than standard tubes would.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Archived