Best suited dist/od pedal for shiva?

inglow

• Members

I'm curious of witch pedal i should use with my shiva to give it more drive and punch. I use sparkle drive now and i'm pleased but i know there are one pedal out there that is mutch better :eek:

(not a pedal to use with the clean channel, but just a pedal to use 'WITH' the drive channel!) anyone?

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

The Bad Monkey adds drive and saturation, but doesn't take anything away from the Shiva's base voicing.

I have to admit that after hearing everyone on here gush about the Bad Monkey I eventually went out and bought one, and it's a pretty freakin decent pedal (regardless of cost). I think I will be using it a lot. Just for reference sake I have a EL34 Shiva and have used (and still own most of them) The Red Jeckyll and Hyde, newer version Route 66, Keeley DS-1 Ultra, Keeley SD-1 5-star mod, and a few other older pedals I've had for years that I don't really use much. The Bad monkey sounds terrific with my old Mesa Mark I and very nice with the Shiva as well. I actually think I'll finally get around to putting some of the other OD/Distortion pedals on Ebay now (I'm keeping the DS-1 and SD-1 but that doesn't necessarily mean the Bad Monkey won't be heavily used).

• Members

Originally posted by keith335

I know I'll get flamed here, but the shiva needs a pedal. Man I thought they rocked al beit a bit compressed sounding.

I'm not surprised or offended to hear you say the Shiva needs a pedal. The OD channel is based off of a JCM800 (at least that's my understanding) and most people agree those need pedals as well. I see the Shiva as a great amp for a base sound both clean and OD. Since both channels do a decent job of taking pedals I don't think there's a thing wrong with stating that. I have found personally that the Shiva is great for a good clean sound and GREAT lead tones on the OD channel. But for crushing rhythm stuff on the gain side it either needs a lot of volume or a pedal for a boost. A lot of it depends on the speakers in your cab too. The V30s don't sound that great at low volumes for crunchy rhythm stuff IMO, but if you crank that biotch with drums, bass, and another guitar player it sounds fat and tasty at high volumes. IMHO of course........

• Members

actually I meant "the shiva needs a pedal?" tongue and cheek because for a 2000 high gain amp I thought it did not need a pedal. I tried one with an avenger the same day looking for high gainers. the shiva sounded great on full chords. has a great distinctive tone to it. thought it was too compressed sounding as was the avenger. the shiva is a good amp though and anyone with one can be proud of their tone.

• Members

actually I meant "the shiva needs a pedal?" tongue and cheek because for a 2000 high gain amp I thought it did not need a pedal. I tried one with an avenger the same day looking for high gainers. the shiva sounded great on full chords. has a great distinctive tone to it. thought it was too compressed sounding as was the avenger. the shiva is a good amp though and anyone with one can be proud of their tone.

I don't think the Shiva is a high gain amp, medium to high maybe. It's got a funny compressed feel that might not like pedals, and some people here have said that theyt don't really respond well to boosts.

• Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The George Lynch Time Machine Boost works great w/ the shiva. It almost sounds like it was made for the shiva.

The shiva responds well to pedals, but if its pushed to hard the tone will turn to {censored}.

I like to switch my pedals around every now and than and currently I'm using a boss compressor/ sustainer CS-3. I'm using this pedal as a boost and I think it sounds great. I would recommend trying the CS-3 infront of an amp as a boost. Sounds great at a low volume and at band practice. It gets the shiva just were it needs to be, for me.

• Members

SO with your Flexi you were actually getting great tone using the amp's boost and master V without having to use a pedal. Man that is one cool amp. The shiva has a good unique tone. I tried it with a PRS and a LP. How does it sound with single coils.

• Members

SO with your Flexi you were actually getting great tone using the amp's boost and master V without having to use a pedal. Man that is one cool amp. The shiva has a good unique tone. I tried it with a PRS and a LP. How does it sound with single coils.

I think it sounds really nice with single coils but that is an area where if you want a lot of gain on the OD side a pedal helps. The single coils obviously don't have as fat of a sound as the humbuckers but retain their unique clarity and chime. I guess that's my favorite thing about the Shiva, my semi hollowbody, dual humbucker equiped guitars, and single coil pu guitars all retain their individual sound. I have found that the Shiva pretty much has enough gain for me when I am using the right guitar for what I am trying to accomplish. As I stated before, if you crank it in a band/jam setting it definitely has enough gain and clarity plugged straight in, no pedals, for my taste. A good boost helps to get that over the top type crunch, but I like the type of saturation and tone that the amp has on it's own too.

• Members

Thnx for the replies, and i agree that the amp got a good nice distortion without a pedal. My boost channel is modded so the channel is up to par with the B channel only with lil more gain. I want 1 or 2 levels more with gain, and i know with the right pedal this amp can get me the stoner-rock sound i want.

Archived