I didn't know "Jump" by Van Halen was a cover...

beno

• Members

So I was in my friends car listening to an oldies radio station, when a song comes on...I don't recognize it but I swear I've heard it before...Then it starts; "Might as well Jump..." Then it went into the verse and the song was the same, melody, words, everything..."Can't you see me standing there I got my back against the record machine - I'm not the worst that you've seen, can't you see what I mean?"

I was so surprised...I had no idea...anyone else not know this?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by lagunabeach

this is the gayest thread ever

{censored}ing moron

{censored} you, whats your problem man? I'm {censored}ing asking this b/c I wanna know what the {censored} it is that I heard.

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

There's that band (forget the name) that does pseudo swing versions of rock songs, including stuff like system of a down. Maybe they did "jump." Its a recent band btw.

Do they make their recordings sound like oldie songs as well? Like production-wise?

• Members

Yep. It's Paul Anka.

He's turned a bunch of 80's rock tunes into "swing" big-band type material.

Smells Like Teen Spirit, EVH, a BonJovi song are all part of the mix...

From www.paulanka.com

The 14-track album opens with a surprisingly jazzy version of the theme song from "Rocky III," "Eye of the Tiger," transitioning into a cover of Van Helen's "Jump" that features a touch of Sinatra. Performed by Anka, REM's "Everybody Hurts," another single, is a bluesy wonder.

He picks up the beat with Oasis' "Wonderwall," enunciating Liam Gallagher's lyrics with the crispness that has always marked Anka's music, followed by Bon Jovi's "It's My Life," the Pet Shop Boys' "It's a Sin," Lionel Richie's "Hello," "Eyes Without a Face" by Billy Idol and Michael Jackson's 'The Way You Make Me Feel," "Tears in Heaven," Eric Clapton's eulogy to his dead son, Conor, wraps up the CD with a reverent, moving salute to Clapton.

He's also the guy who wrote "My Way" for Sinatra, the "Tonight Show Theme" for Johnny Carson, Puppy Love for Donny Osmond, and who can forget his own hit, "Havin' my Baby"!

He's been making the tour of as many radio and TV shows as he can... I heard him on NPR...

michael

• Members

Maybe the quality of the radio signal gave it a dated 50s sound. BUT, do you guys remember Addicted To That Rush by Mr. Big. I swear they ripped that song off from Rainbow. I heard this Rainbow song that sounded soo identical, except of course for the tapping intro.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

almost the same thing happened to me except it was with nirvana's smells like teen spirit. It was on 95.1 (oldies) and it sounded like frank sinatra or someone singing it over a piano. Same exact lyrics and parts.

"Bada, bada hey jack.......here I am jack, entertain us, Sammy Davis, a mulatto, a mosquito, Italiano.....Smells like Dean Martin's Spirit....hey jack"

:)