Which is the best choice?

HPlayer733

• Members

Hi, I've been playing guitar for about a year now. I own a Peavey Signature Series EX guitar. I also have a Marshall MG15DFX 15 watt anp. I am looking to upgrade to a larger amp in the future. I was wonder what you all thought as to brands. I know Marshall is the classic and they are supposedly reliable. However, I have already had to swap my MG15DFX after less than three months. I am pleased with the sound of the amp but are Marshalls really worth the higher price? I am considering either a 50 Watt Marshall MG50DFX at $374.99, a Line 6 Spider II 75 watt at $299.99, or possibly a 100 watt Fender FM 212R Guitar Amplifier at $299.99. While the Fender is the most powerful, I am drawn towards the Line 6 as the effects seemed to be the best. But I know that Marshalls also have outstanding effects. The Marshall, at $75 dollars more and 25 less watts seems like the worst value. Maybe I am wrong however. I am going to test each of the amps thoroughly before I decide on one but beforhand I was wondering what all of your opinions were? Which seems like the best overall?

• Members

If you are not gigging then it is an amp for your personal enjoyment.

I like all three of the amps you have suggested.

But if you ask me, for $300, get a 20 watt tube amp.

A Vox Valvetronix or a used Peavey Classic 20...

good sound
:)

Unless you really need a 100 watt amp in which case the Fender is a good choice, but I like the Spider and the Marshall too....

• Members

I'm in a band and I will eventually start to gig so I want to be able to use this amp for that. I don't need 100 watt but I'm not going to object to it for less than a 50 watt. But do you think that Marshall is that much better? Or even Line 6? I haven't had much experience with them at all.

• Members

Originally posted by HPlayer733

I'm in a band and I will eventually start to gig so I want to be able to use this amp for that. I don't need 100 watt but I'm not going to object to it for less than a 50 watt. But do you think that Marshall is that much better? Or even Line 6? I haven't had much experience with them at all.

It's really a matter of taste... go to GC and try them out.

It also depends on the style of music you want to play. Like do you need heavy distortion etc.

You can mike up a smaller amp like 30 watt or so if your band has a PA.

Read the user reviews here at Harmony Central and at zZounds etc.

If you do want distortion Fender isn't that great usually, Marshall can be good and I think the Spider is pretty good.

Fender and Marshall have nicer clean channels and you could put a distortion pedal in front.

I like those Vox Valvetronix amps. A lot of people like the Roland cubes.

For that matter you could check out Crates and Behringers too....

• Members

Hmmm... I'll be playing basically.... everything from alternative to hard rock and metal so I want some distortion.... So the spider doesn't have a good clean sound? Whats the deal with the Vox's, how many watts and price and all that?

• Members

Originally posted by HPlayer733

Hmmm... I'll be playing basically.... everything from alternative to hard rock and metal so I want some distortion.... So the spider doesn't have a good clean sound? Whats the deal with the Vox's, how many watts and price and all that?

Spider clean is OK. I like how easy that amp is to use.

Here are the Vox.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?cat=2591&form=prodsearch&cat2=3459&ob=pop&submit=Filter+Results

AD30VT and AD50VT.

It helps to try the stuff in the store and let your ears tell you what you like.

• Members

Which amps generally get the best distortion?

Thats a rediculous question. Like asking which fruit tastes the best.

Ok sorry that was sort of just mean but its true....theres all kinds of flavors of distortion. Fenders are usually known for their clean. No matter what Marshal MG amp you get it will generally sound the same but go up in wattage.

I would suggest the Line 6 Spider to you though if you want to go with a new amp in that price range. $300 isn't a ton to work with.

I'm also selling a Line 6 Flextone 3 if you are interested. Its 1x12 75 watts.

• Members

Well if you want my honest opinion I like Engl Amps the best. They're also somewhere around $2,000 last time I checked lol. :D

Within your price range thought I would check out the Peavey Classic 20, A Vox Valvetronix amp with your desired wattage, or the Line 6 Spider II.

Or buy my amp :D

Archived