Another modded marshall clip

scottosan

• Members
Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Sounds great to me. Maybe a tad buzzy But I do like it.

Thanks for listening guys. I was puching the gain a bit, the gain knob does taper back quite well, so it is pretty versatile. Even with that much gain, it cleans up extremely well. I really need to get another Vintage 30 cab. my 76 blackback cab sounds great, but everyone that has played this amp with different cabs agrees that the V30's bring out more definition in the amp.

• Members
Originally posted by Panzerfoust

Sounds damn good. Who modded it? Clay?

No, I gutted it, and put in a circuit similar to my first build. My wife hates it:D Thanks for listening.

This amp started its life as a 76 non-master volume amp. I bought it last year at the Dallas guitar show and tried to give it some love. It had been neglected and beat to crap to the point that the original PCB was thrashed. so out goes the PCB, and in goes some evil resister and cap stew.

76.JPG
inside.JPG

• Members
Originally posted by LarryJ48

Yeah who modded that? Thats a lot of gain crammed in there. Still has the mid 70's growl though.

I did, no added preamp tubes or diodes. I'm just just hoping it doesn't melt down. :D

The volume was at 9:00 btw

• Members
Originally posted by scottosan

I did, no added preamp tubes or diodes. I'm just just hoping it doesn't melt down.
:D

The volume was at 9:00 btw

Very cool tone! I'm still amazed at the amount of gain without any extra pre gain stages or diode clipping. Is it modded for master volume?

• Members
Originally posted by LarryJ48

Very cool tone! I'm still amazed at the amount of gain without any extra pre gain stages or diode clipping. Is it modded for master volume?

Yes it is master volume, and all 3 gain stages have been reworked as well as some major changes in the phase inverter/negative feedback loop.

• Members
Originally posted by scottosan

No, I gutted it, and put in a circuit similar to my first build. My wife hates it:D Thanks for listening.

This amp started its life as a 76 non-master volume amp. I bought it last year at the Dallas guitar show and tried to give it some love. It had been neglected and beat to crap to the point that the original PCB was thrashed. so out goes the PCB, and in goes some evil resister and cap stew.

inside.JPG

For you guys that want to mod your 2203/2204's....this picture is worth a 1000 words and is 100% better than the mods on that silly tone lizard site. There are a few simple changes that have been made and the gain is increased a lot...without having to mod it for another pre-amp tube. In my 2204, I also added a PPIV master to it.

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

a little to much hair...but thats sweet...Id like to open it up a bit more ...

nice stuff..
:)

I know what you are saying. I'm not digging the recorded sound nearly as much as the live sound, not to mention that I think it matches Vintage30's alot more than these blackbacks. I guess I should invest more than $100 on my recording setup.:rolleyes::D

Archived