help me pick out a first guitar for my brother...

FalseRevRG

• Members

i had him look through an MF catalog and tell me what appealed to him....he seems to like the strat-ish shaped 2-humbucker fixed-bridge guitars. we'd like to stay in the $300-and-under price range. the two in that particular catalog that i thought were the best for him were the Ibanez RG321 and the Schecter Omen 6. any thoughts on these, or other suggestions?

i think the Roland Cube 15 would be a good first amp for him also.

• Members

i have an RG7321, the 7string version of that guitar and i bought it as a beater to experiment with having another string. As it happens, i really like it, it plays very well and after a little TLC, the actions very low. Id imagine the 321 would be just as good, so id say thats a good start

James

• Members

Dude, sounds like you`re headed in the right direction. Both the RG321 and Omen 6 would be great beginner guitars. Of the two I would personally pick the Ibanez, but that`s just personal preference.

I would also like to suggest the Jackson JS series. I just recently picked up a JS30RR Rhoads V and it`s a great little guitar. They also offer the King V, Kelly and Dinky models in this series and all have TOM/string through type bridges. They are bolt on construction with alder bodys and maple/rosewood necks. I`ve not had any trouble out of mine and it stays in tune pretty well. The stock pups aren`t the best, but can be upgraded down the line. Check `em out if you can.

The Roland Cube 15 would be a great starter amp, but also check out the Line 6 Spider II 30 watt 1x12 combo. I bought one for quiet practice and it would make a sweet starter/practice amp.

Eric

• Members

I would recommend starting out on an a classical guitar or an acoutic first.

When I started, I played classical guitar for about three years, than I got an acoustic and played that for two years. Then after five years of playing classical/acoustic guitar, I got my first electric,

a MIM strat special with H/S/S pickups. After about three years with the strat, I got my first electric with a floyd and a thin neck.

Because of this, I had good finger strength and a classical base to my style before even touching an electric. I couldn't believe how easy it was to play electric when I finally did.

Anyways, I think that guitar is a good choice. Hey, just about anything is better than a damn Squire.:p

• Members

Originally posted by FalseRevRG

we just got back from checking out some guitars at Guitar Center....he's decided on the Schecter 006 Deluxe (which i'm now GASing for too
:p
)

now just have to find the best prices....

Not a bad choice at all. I was going to suggest the Ibanez, but that Schecter looks very appealing as well. He is definetly headed down the right path. MUUAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Members

Originally posted by SGavin

When I started, I played classical guitar for about three years, than I got an acoustic and played that for two years. Then after five years of playing classical/acoustic guitar, I got my first electric,

a MIM strat special with H/S/S pickups. After about three years with the strat, I got my first electric with a floyd and a thin neck.

Because of this, I had good finger strength and a classical base to my style before even touching an electric. I couldn't believe how easy it was to play electric when I finally did.

Anyways, I think that guitar is a good choice. Hey, just about anything is better than a damn Squire.

i come from the other school of thought, that it's better to start out on electric if that's what you want to play :p

guitarist1234.....i own a PS-900 (and would like to check out the PS-1000 at some point) and i've shown my brother the Rondo site a couple times and he hasn't really been too crazy about the stuff there. i was trying to get him to go in that direction even before i got mine lol

Megadeth7684....he doesn't really care for the single-cutaway body shapes.

• Members

Originally posted by FalseRevRG

we just got back from checking out some guitars at Guitar Center....he's decided on the Schecter 006 Deluxe (which i'm now GASing for too
)

now just have to find the best prices....

Sounds like a good choice to me :)

• Members

Originally posted by SGavin

Anyways, I think that guitar is a good choice. Hey, just about anything is better than a damn Squire.

I hate to pick on you but I really disagree. You should just start out playing what you want to play. If you want an electric and that sound, you're never gonna be satisfied playing a more difficult to play acoustic and keeping motivated long enough to get to the point where you like your playing is hard enough already without these "start on acoustic" type tortures.

It may help finger strength, but at best it will just mean you can play acoustic/classical guitar better, and you have to rehone your technique for electric anyway. And who cares about technique that much? My philosophy on guitar and music is that it's for FUN. Nothing else, nothing more. You do it to enjoy it, so if you want to start out on electric, I think that's what you should start out on.

• Members

1987 Ibanez 540 Sabre

Asking Price: US$275

Condition: Good

Description:

First year production of the Sabre. Low Serial. A700071, HSS IBZUSA pickups, wizard 1 neck, 3 mini toggle switches. Caribbean Blue. Frets are good, neck is straight, minor damage to tip of headstock and it could use a re-wiring job. $275

Seller: Paul Dodderidge, 5712254470

E-mail: lostmenoggin420 (Profile)

Post Date: 8/30/2005

Archived