EL84s - How Would You Describe Them ?

Electric I

• Members

that's pretty much dead-on and it's satisfying when you can get some ambient bass presence from them with good speakers.

Originally posted by DownByLaw

Chimey, somewhat compressed, smaller soundstage than EL34/6L6, nice upper mid character, cut nicely in a mix, can get a little edgy on high treble.

Patrick

• Members

Chimey, somewhat compressed, smaller soundstage than EL34/6L6, nice upper mid character, cut nicely in a mix, can get a little edgy on high treble.

Patrick

Exactly... It is the compressed character of EL-84 tubes that make it so much more different than a EL-34 or any big bottle for that matter and why EL84s don't cut the mustard for me. For sure an EL84 is not a baby brother tonewise to an EL-34 different animal all together. I feel from my own experience a 6V6 is closer to the vibe of a EL34 than a EL84... ymmv

• Members

I've been smitten with el84 tubes for about 6 months now. They do have an incredible amount of chime, and seem to work great in my 18 and 36 watt Marshall clones. I do miss the thump of the el34's sometimes, but dig the way el84's yield the"cranked tube amp sound" at lower volumes.:cool:

I still plan on having a hot rod plexi built at some point to satisfy my el-34 cravings.:)

• Members

Patrick

+1 ---- that's plenty accurate.

• Members

Here's a clip of an 18 watt marshall clone I built. You can hear the characteristics of the EL84s, because the preamp has very little gain - it gets the overdrive from pummeling the EL84s ;)

www.mothrastewart.com/images/18watt/sullyfirebird.mp3

When I start playing the extreme riff and the feedback gets uncontrollable - that's a boss super overdrive that I modded. The rest of the clip is the amp dimed - I used volume control on the guitar and my pick/finger technique to vary the amount of gain.

Pete

• Members
Originally posted by Rich

I've been smitten with el84 tubes for about 6 months now. They do have an incredible amount of chime, and seem to work great in my 18 and 36 watt Marshall clones. I do miss the thump of the el34's sometimes, but dig the way el84's yield the"cranked tube amp sound" at lower volumes.
:cool:

I still plan on having a hot rod plexi built at some point to satisfy my el-34 cravings.
:)

:D:D:D:D

• Members

Right on about the 6v6s, I like them quite a bit more than the EL84s because they are closer to me to EL34s in some ways. Love the way they get chewy under heavy gain and the highs are sweet rather than brittle, but still cut.

Patrick

Originally posted by Hi-Ho Tubular

Exactly... It is the compressed character of EL-84 tubes that make it so much more different than a EL-34 or any big bottle for that matter and why EL84s don't cut the mustard for me. For sure an EL84 is not a baby brother tonewise to an EL-34 different animal all together. I feel from my own experience a 6V6 is closer to the vibe of a EL34 than a EL84... ymmv

Archived