i got a new job today!

david_d

• Members

basically, im putting big vinyl stickers on glass inserts for pantry doors, measuring, marking, and cutting the vinyl into the stencil before it gets sandblasted. and it kicks ass, cause conveniently located on the upper floor of this glass shop is our rehearsal / recording studio :) and i get paid piecework, and can work anytime i want to, as long as i get the weeks work done - so i can give'er after practices at night, or when we get back to town from shows... its gonna be so great :)

• Members

I don't get it.... I make 6 figures a year and I can't afford a Diezel, but you cut out vinyl on glass "piece meal" and you can.

Do you live at home or something?

I'm just trying to figure this out... not diss'ing you or anything. I go through this all time time in my mind. Especially when I'm looking through a "show us your stuff" thread and I see some of you guys with like 15 botique amps w/ 30-40 EXPENSIVE guitars (LP's, PRS's, etc). And you guys are playing bars and stuff. I *know* gigging bars doesn't pay THAT good... ;)

Do you guys live at home forever? Do you have to buy food?

Just curious.

-Tom

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

I don't get it.... I make 6 figures a year and I can't afford a Diezel, but you cut out vinyl on glass "piece meal" and you can.

I'm just trying to figure this out... not diss'ing you or anything. I go through this all time time in my mind. Especially when I'm looking through a "show us your stuff" thread and I see some of you guys with like 15 botique amps w/ 30-40 EXPENSIVE guitars (LP's, PRS's, etc). And you guys are playing bars and stuff. I *know* gigging bars doesn't pay THAT good...
;)

Just curious.

-Tom

no i dont live at home. yes i do have to buy food. do you have kids? a nice car?

• Members

Originally posted by Honeyspider

no i dont live at home. yes i do have to buy food. do you have kids? a nice car?

I do have kids, and a wife, but my car is paid for... and I work from home, so I don't buy much gas. I do have a nice house in a nice 'hood, though. I take vacations. Oh... and I tithe to my Church.

-Tom

• Members

I'm just trying to figure this out... not diss'ing you or anything. I go through this all time time in my mind. Especially when I'm looking through a "show us your stuff" thread and I see some of you guys with like 15 botique amps w/ 30-40 EXPENSIVE guitars (LP's, PRS's, etc). And you guys are playing bars and stuff. I *know* gigging bars doesn't pay THAT good...
;)

Just curious.

-Tom

Meh, its all where you spend your money. I "can't" afford that high end guitar stuff becuase my wife won't let me ;) Cheers Lucius

edit: Just make friends with folks who have nice amps !

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Meh, its all where you spend your money. I "can't" afford that high end guitar stuff becuase my wife won't let me
;)
Cheers Lucius

edit: Just make friends with folks who have nice amps !

Note to self.... find friend with nice amps ;)

Actually, I'm pretty close to buying a nice amp. I've never felt the need. I'm too busy recording other people at hired studios. For my own playing... my PodXT has been fine. I'm an engineer, so I'm rarely on the other side of the glass.

However... I'm producing a lot now, so sometimes I play a little. Also... Since I'm usually given an "all in" budget. i.e. the Label says, "you have a $200K to make this record" and I have to take my share from that. So.. the less I spend on rentals and studio time, the more money I make.

I'm set up so that I take the artist to a studio for tracking, then come back to my place to edit and prep for mixing. Then I go back to the studio to mix.

If I can collect some good amps and guitars... I can just cut guitars at my place. But I can't do that with a PodXT... well I can, but it's just not good enough to my ears for a major release.

So I'm envious of all the nice amps owned in this group.... but hopefully I'll start collecting here soon.

BTW... Congrats on the job and keeping the amp....

-Tom

• Members

Note to self.... find friend with nice amps
;)

Actually, I'm pretty close to buying a nice amp. I've never felt the need. I'm too busy recording other people at hired studios. For my own playing... my PodXT has been fine. I'm an engineer, so I'm rarely on the other side of the glass.

However... I'm producing a lot now, so sometimes I play a little. Also... Since I'm usually given an "all in" budget. i.e. the Label says, "you have a $200K to make this record" and I have to take my share from that. So.. the less I spend on rentals and studio time, the more money I make.

I'm set up so that I take the artist to a studio for tracking, then come back to my place to edit and prep for mixing. Then I go back to the studio to mix.

If I can collect some good amps and guitars... I can just cut guitars at my place. But I can't do that with a PodXT... well I can, but it's just not good enough to my ears for a major release.

So I'm envious of all the nice amps owned in this group.... but hopefully I'll start collecting here soon.

BTW... Congrats on the job and keeping the amp....

-Tom

do you have your own studio? or where do you usually work, and what gear do you prefer to work with?

• Members

Originally posted by freakk guitarist

do you have your own studio? or where do you usually work, and what gear do you prefer to work with?

Hey... I have a small "production" studio in my house where I usually work on arrangements, instrumentation, etc. I "mock" up the songs. I also will do editing and other things here that doesn't need to be done in a full service studio. I'll do scratch vocals, keyboard/VI parts, etc....

When I'm tracking a band, I take them out to full service studios. Which studio depends on my mood and what I'm trying to achive with the band. I like to record in NYC the most. That's where I "grew up" as an engineer, so I know those rooms the best. I also do a lot in Nashville. I lived there for a while and like a few of the rooms there.

I may take the band I'm working with now to a place in Chicago that looks interesting and will fit the budget or a place in Kentucky that's on a horse farm. I've never been there, but it looks REALLY cool... but it also looks really $$$.

I usually pick the tracking faciltiy based on the live room. I like rooms that sound really good. I'm not as worried about the mics and outbord, but it's a plus. If they don't have what I need, I just rent it.

For amps... it all depends on the band. But, I choose a lot of fender for clean to semi-cleans. Marshalls and Bruno's for dirty stuff. However... for my personal amp collection I have my eyes out for Orange Rocker Verb 50 and a Bogner Shiva.

For mixing, I typically pick SSL rooms OR I mix in software, depending on the genre and budget.

Was that what you were looking for?

-Tom

• Members

Then you can write the amps off on your taxes:p

• Members

Originally posted by lefchr

Then you can write the amps off on your taxes:p

Oh yeah.... I write all my gear off in my taxes. Include CD's (reference materials). I need everything I can get because I get paid on a 1099 as an engineer/producer.

-Tom

Archived