Two Questions About Fender Champs/Vibro Champs

playdabluze

• Members

There's room for some 10" speakers, depending on the depth. Speakers with big magnets can hit the output transformer. Of course, you will need to recut, or replace the baffle.

A Champ through a 2x12 can sound really big. I've done some recording like that.

• Members

I've got one for sale that has been moved to a larger cabinet with a 12" speaker. It sounds huge. Just not quite what I need right at the moment. Email me if you're interested (coachlinz@hotmail.com). I've got pictures I can send you.

• Members

Originally posted by playdabluze

1) Is there enough room in a Champ or Vibro Champ for a 10" speaker?

2) Will a Champ or Vibro Champ sound like a bigger tube amp on stage if it's mic'd or will it sound like a toy?

I think you could do some mods to get a 10" in there also, you might look around for a replacement cab.

I used a cranked up champ through a G-Flex 2-12 believe me, it didn't sound like a toy it roared like a lion.

• Members

A Champ is a real versatile little amp. I have a couple of them - When I bought the first one it was already heavily modded with a bigger transformer, 2 6V6's and 2 12AX7's, and a 10" speaker. The one I bought later is completely original but pushes a 15" Electro Voice speaker nicely. It is a loud 6 watts! Hint: If you are going to place a 10" speaker in that Champ, pull the chassis out first. It is tight in there and if the chassis is left in you risk poking a hole in the speaker cone.

Archived