How much does Guitar Center pay for amps

Tonally Anal

• Members

I just bought a Rivera 2x12 off of Ebay which i hate and want to trade in or get cash for. I'd rather not Ebay it cuz it's like 75 lbs and i don't wanna have to deal with the headache of packing and shipping and worrying if it gets to it's destination alright. How badly can i expect GC to rape me if i try to trade it in or get cash?

• Members

They'd give you approximately one half of what you'd get if you sold or bought on the Internet.

Example: I have a relatively mint 2000 Mesa Dual Rectifer...I could probably get anywhere between $1,000 and $1,200 if I sold it on eBay...at Guitar Center they would give me $650.00.

There you go, a real life example.

• Members

Originally posted by g0lp

Yeah, in my experience, they typically offer you about half of what they can sell it for --- much better to go private sale.

I really think it depends on what you are trading in and what you are getting since their margin on some stuff is a lot higher. My old bass player traded in a Hartke 3500 4x10 combo and they gave him $350 and turned around and sold it for $450 or $500 so in that case it's not too bad.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I really think it depends on what you are trading in and what you are getting since their margin on some stuff is a lot higher. My old bass player traded in a Hartke 3500 4x10 combo and they gave him $350 and turned around and sold it for $450 or $500 so in that case it's not too bad.

Good point --- also, I have noticed that they'll typically offer you more if you are trading in on another piece of gear, versus just cashing out.

• Members

Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

They'll pull out a Blue Book, and offer you less than a pawn shop would. Don't do it.

That's right -- they wanted to give me a total of $300 for a mint Peavey Classic 100 head, a peavey classic 412 slant, and a Peavey 410 bass cab.

Now I didn't expect them to say -- "WOW a bunch of middle of the road Peavey gear -- here's $12,000" but I think $300 for all that stuff is a tad lower than what I can get on ebay (not accounting for shipping which is why I didn't sell it there).

The moral of the story is that if you buy a $2000 Les Paul from them, wait beyond the 30 day period, and return it in mint condition you'll probably get way below $1000 for it from them.

• Members

They are in business to make money. Ebay is a much better way to sell your gear. Or just do it on here.

I just shipped a 4x12 cab for a friend and shipping was neither a hassle or a pain. Use Fed-ex ground and package it yourself. Go to GC or any other music store and get old boxes from them. Get shipping supplies at Wal-mart. make buyer pay the shipping costs.

• Members

I wouldn't consider selling anything to guitar center or any music store. The best way to go is a private sale or else you definitely get raped. A friend of mine was trying to sell them a mint Musicman Bongo 5 string bass he bought at GC just 3 months ago and they would only give him like $600.

• Members

they pay 1/4 of what it will sell for new. With Almost NO exceptions. Even less most of the time if you bought it from them. However, if you're buying something from them they might try to work something out with you but usually that isn't any good either.

So yeah, that's the cold hard facts from a former GC employee.

• Members

jeez... a Rivera 2x12 you hate? I bought a Rivera M100 2x12 off ebay and just love it. I also have a Marshal DSL100, VHT, Vibrolux, Peavey Classic 50 212, Kendrick 118... and a few others.

The Rivera more than holds it own. What don't you like about it?

Archived