problem with my 5150

dante c

• Members

i bought a block letter 5150 used about 8 months ago, and everything has been working fine until this past week. id be playing it and the amp would lose volume and become very quiet out of nowhere. sometimes it returns to normal volume after a few minutes or if i turn the amp off and back on again. but i gig with this alot and cant afford for this to happen live. maybe there's a bad tube or a faulty wire somewhere, i dont know.

someone help!

• Members

cool.

ive been running a volume box through my effects loop for months to practice at a lower volume w/out sacrificing tone, and its been working fine this whole time. its weird.

i dont think i have any patch cables, would an instrument cable work?

thanks so much for the advice.

• Members

You can also just try switching the effects loop off with the foot switch to see if that helps. If it's not dirty effects loop jacks it's more than likely tubes. Since you're using the loop I doubt it's a jack problem. That usually happens most when guys don't use the loop. Give me a shout if you can't get it worked out FJAMods@aol.com
Jerry

• Members

i tried the following:

1. using the footswitch to turn off the effects loop. result: nothing changed

2. put an instrument cable in the send/return of my effects loop. result: still nothing

i'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's my tubes. im getting this terrible, terrible tone, lots of noise and no power (as far as volume goes). so can anyone recommend some tubes i could swap my old ones with. i was thinking ruby tubes or something, but i have no experience with tubes. also will i need these installed professionally, or can i do it myself. ive been told that in 5150's you can just swap the tubes with out having to fine tune anything.

• Members

Originally posted by dante c

i tried the following:

1. using the footswitch to turn off the effects loop. result: nothing changed

2. put an instrument cable in the send/return of my effects loop. result: still nothing

i'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's my tubes. im getting this terrible, terrible tone, lots of noise and no power (as far as volume goes). so can anyone recommend some tubes i could swap my old ones with. i was thinking ruby tubes or something, but i have no experience with tubes. also will i need these installed professionally, or can i do it myself. ive been told that in 5150's you can just swap the tubes with out having to fine tune anything.

Sounds like it could be tubes. Get in touch with Doug's Tubes and Doug will set you up. I think Ruby's suck myself. Ruby does sell JJ and other brand but the majority of times when someone gets a Ruby it's a Chinese tube and I've had terrible luck with them. I like JJ, Svetlana, and SED 6L6's. If your amp is stock and hasn't had the bias modified you can get away with just plugging the tubes in. I have some stuff on my FAQ page about my feelings on biasing an amp.

Jerry

Archived