Mac Help...Protools.?? SONAR.???

Dave Owens

• Members

Im going to buy one..( and yes I know that you can run the OS on a PC)..

only I have yet to see this in the flesh.I need to be able to a few things..

1.I need to be able to run a full version of Adobe pro 7.0

2. I want to be able to record as well..( using ) Protools or ???

3.I want to run a full version of Final Cut Pro.

Has anyone used SONAR and ProTools..and if so what did they like or dislike about them.???

Im not sure how well some of the programs would work..so thats why I dont want to try and go mac in a pc..and im leaseing..so its not a big deal on the payments..

sugestions.??

thanks..:)

• Members

Originally posted by t-rave

Sonar is a native windows program..you want to run something on a Mac right?

my top choicew would be cubase or nuendo

or try

Protools

Digital Performer

Logic

tracktion

etc.

Is there a huge difference between SONAR and Protools.?

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

Is there a huge difference between SONAR and Protools.?

Not if you're planning on using it within the privacy of your own home/studio. If you ever plan on taking your session to a bigger studio for mixing, etc, you're gonna have a few problems. No big studios that I know of have a Sonar setup.

The biggest advantage I see for using protools is the fact that it's the industry standard, and its everywhere...meaning you can take your sessions with you to use on other better systems with better plugins, etc.

When it comes down to it, IMO, a DAW is a DAW, is a DAW. It all depends on your preference in layout, and how efficient you work in that layout.

For me, ProTools is the way to go. It's super easy to pick up if you know your way around a DAW, there are hotkeys for the functions you need readily available, there is a huge amount of plugins to choose from, etc.

By the way, Sonar is PC only, so you won't be able to run it on Mac unless you get Virtual PC, which would probably kill your CPU. If you insist on a native program for Mac, my suggestion is Logic or DP...but my choice is still ProTools, even LE.

The price of the mBox is going to be going down significantly in the next few weeks....everyone is trying to get rid of them because of the (soon) introduction of the FireWire mBox. For less than $300, you can be running ProTools...granted its within the confines of the 2in-2out USB interface...but its still ProTools and its still awesome, IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by Sty1es

Not if you're planning on using it within the privacy of your own home/studio. If you ever plan on taking your session to a bigger studio for mixing, etc, you're gonna have a few problems. No big studios that I know of have a Sonar setup.

The biggest advantage I see for using protools is the fact that it's the industry standard, and its everywhere...meaning you can take your sessions with you to use on other better systems with better plugins, etc.

When it comes down to it, IMO, a DAW is a DAW, is a DAW. It all depends on your preference in layout, and how efficient you work in that layout.

For me, ProTools is the way to go. It's super easy to pick up if you know your way around a DAW, there are hotkeys for the functions you need readily available, there is a huge amount of plugins to choose from, etc.

btBy the way, Sonar is PC only, so you won't be able to run it on Mac unless you get Virtual PC, which would probably kill your CPU. If you insist on a native program for Mac, my suggestion is Logic or DP...but my choice is still ProTools, even LE.

The price of the mBox is going to be going down significantly in the next few weeks....everyone is trying to get rid of them because of the (soon) introduction of the FireWire mBox. For less than $300, you can be running ProTools...granted its within the confines of the 2in-2out USB interface...but its still ProTools and its still awesome, IMO.

thank for the help.....well its a Mac w/ protools...:)

just have to configure one and place an order...

btw...what is DP.??.. digital performer.?
:confused:

Archived