So am thinking of going to a rack setup??

DirtyChains

• Members

I have never messed with any rack gear at all. I would like suggestions on what needs to be in there for a decent "middle grade" setup. I know I need a pre and power amp but the rest I know almost nothing about. I am open to suggestions for the pre and power sections along with the other gear. I would still like to use my pedalboard too.

ANY help is appreciated!!

• Members

I would love a rack system as a backup rig to my Superbass. If I were to go with one, Id keep it simple and find a used Marshall JMP-1 and 100/100 Power amp. Then Id get a cheap rack piece for verbs and delays and be done with it.

Most importantly though, id buy used and not think twice. :)

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

I would love a rack system as a backup rig to my Superbass. If I were to go with one, Id keep it simple and find a used Marshall JMP-1 and 100/100 Power amp. Then Id get a cheap rack piece for verbs and delays and be done with it.

Most importantly though, id buy used and not think twice.
:)

The JMP-1 and the Peavey Rockmaster are high on the list for preamps.

What about the Peavey power amps? I do not want an EL-84 power amp. I already have a 112 84 combo so I am covered there. One of the Peavey ran something besides 84's but I can't remember which one.

Can you give some suggestions for verb and delay rack gear?

Power conditioners not needed???

• Members

I went rack and never looked back. Of course, one of my "rack items" is an amp head. I have my amp head in an ATA flight case and in the same case is an 8 space rack with all my fx or whatever.

I have a JMP-1 that I might be willing to part with for the right price. I'm not currently using it because I don't have a power amp for it.

• Members

I use an ADA MP-1 classic into an ADA microtube 200 power amp. In between have a BBE Sonic Maximizer which gives me a huge sounding tone. For other effects like delay, reverb, flange, etc I use a Roland GP-16 multi effects processor. This rig has served me quite well for gigging. Plus its stereo thru and thru so I can do some cool panning effects too.

• Members

I just went to The Rocktron Voodu Valve...for the 2nd time.

The Voodu has everything you need. Serious gain, cleans, studio-qualiity effects...and decent low-mid gain. Tube to help warm it all up. Excellent EQ (pre AND post) to dial in no matter what the rest of your rig is.

Choosing the cab and amp were hard. I've got a 2x12 and using a Laney 60 watt SS amp.

BBE?....no...that is for recording/live sound. A good rig shouldn't need what the BBE does.

• Members

My teeny rack

Rocktron Chameleon (Pre) Used floor model GC W/E Sale $100

Rocktron Velocity 120 (PWR Amp) Repackaged GC W/E Sale $120

Furman Power conditioner ($50, I think?)

Rocktron Intellifex Verb/delay/EFX $220 Musicians Friend New.

DSL100 goes thru the Intellifex, the rest is back up or diffrent songs.

Behringer Controller $150.

Best of all worlds... :D

Archived