My Voodoo modded 5150 II came in today!

Your_Dad

• Members

Oh man, I love the {censored} out of this amp. Before the mod I was using a boss noise gate and a equalizer with the amp. Now I don't need those pedals anymore. I wish I could post some clips for you guys but I don't have the plugin for my CPU.

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

Sounds good.

Could you give us a more in depth review?

Thanks,

Eric

First of all, I had Trace do the standard mod and retube the amp with Rubys. Before the mod the amp was way too muddy. When I cranked the amp it would get fuzzy and hissy and it would feedback alot. The clean channel just sucked. It was way too harsh and broke up too easily. Now the amp is tightened up with no hiss or fuzz. It also sounds alot more crunchy/beefy. Palm mutes are now more focused and tight sounding rather than mush. The clean channel sounds like a whole new amp. It's now alot warmer and the equalizer is now more balanced and actually has an effect on the tone. I finally have the tone I've been wanting. No more pedals and all that crap for me, just straight up amp.

• Members

did they retube the power tubes or preamp tubes with rubys, cause when i had mine done, i could only afford the preamp tubes. does the ruby power tubes sound that much better, cause im running JJ's right now, which I know are also popular with the 5150s. any comments?

• Members

Oh man, I love the {censored} out of this amp. Before the mod I was using a boss noise gate and a equalizer with the amp. Now I don't need those pedals anymore.

Great to hear and I'm very glad that you are happy! :) As always if you need anything what so ever please do not hesitate to call is.

Have fun playing!

Trace

• Members

does the ruby power tubes sound that much better, cause im running JJ's right now, which I know are also popular with the 5150s. any comments?

The Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's sound very different than the JJ's. Generally speaking; You will get more bottom end from the Ruby's and it will be tighter and punchier over all. We've never been fans of the JJ power tubes with our 5150 Mods but to each his own. Go for what ever works best for you, after all you have to be happy with your tone.

For what it's worth

Trace

Archived