So uhh, what do you all think about those Floyd Rose guitars?

insurrection

• Members

I played one the other day, single coil version because it was the only one the store had, and even though that pickup sounded like a bowl of assholes, the guitar played well and that bridge is amazing... absolutely no loss of tune no matter how hard I wailed, dropped, and stretched... I hear they have a humbucker version of it... I might actually pick one up... any other thoughts by someone who may own one or have more knowledge with it?

• Members

I played one at GC this evening.Dual humbucker version.Headstock looked a lot better in person than promo photos.Played like a dream for awhile until the high E dropped an octave.No one had a clue how to fix it and bridge maintenance instructions were of little help.Pick ups could definetly be hotter but were quality for their output.Wildest whammy-capable guitar I've ever played and I own Gotoh,Shaller and Ibanez FR licensed assemblies.The guitar felt the way a Masic Man bass feels compared to say,Fender instruments.In fact people were walking up and asking if it was a new MM guitar.If broken in gradually these guitars could probably take anything you throw at them.This Model priced at $419.00 sported a blk finnish and grey torty pckgrd w/RW frtbrd.Being fresh out of the box I was anxious to put it through it's paces,thereby wrecking the little E without much effort.Still overall;an amazingly cool electric.

• Members

Originally posted by Purplexi

I played one at GC this evening.Dual humbucker version.Headstock looked a lot better in person than promo photos.Played like a dream for awhile until the high E dropped an octave.No one had a clue how to fix it and bridge maintenance instructions were of little help.Pick ups could definetly be hotter but were quality for their output.Wildest whammy-capable guitar I've ever played and I own Gotoh,Shaller and Ibanez FR licensed assemblies.The guitar felt the way a Masic Man bass feels compared to say,Fender instruments.In fact people were walking up and asking if it was a new MM guitar.If broken in gradually these guitars could probably take anything you throw at them.This Model priced at $419.00 sported a blk finnish and grey torty pckgrd w/RW frtbrd.Being fresh out of the box I was anxious to put it through it's paces,thereby wrecking the little E without much effort.Still overall;an amazingly cool electric.

The one I played had been on the floor for a while and had already been re-tuned and adjusted so I guess that's why that particular one didn't get all out of wack... I stretched those strings to near breaking and it didn't detune... surprised the {censored} out of me... I want to buy just the trem and have it somehow installed on my jackson rr1, haha, now that would kick some ass.

• Members

I've got an Ibanez RG550 that I didn't like for a while because of tuning and string changing but then I put the time in and learned how and I am digging it.

They're a lot of work but they give you a lot back too. I did like it a lot better after I upgraded the bridge pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Can you even tune them or are they just automatically in tune when you string them up?

I THINK the gig is that you break a string, push the floyd down and pop a new string in and bam in tune. I have heard from a dealer that this is not the case, he would not sell me one he said if I wanted it.

Archived