50 or 100 watt Marshall?

illini

• Members

I have been planning on getting a 100 watt Master volume JMP, JCM 800 or a DSL. My reason has been mainly for the extra headroom.

But, the price of the 100 watters has been going "thru the roof" as they say. Anyone like the 50's better?

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

If you get a DSL, go for the 100. I prefer it because of the extra clean headroom.

JMP, JCM800...go for the 50 watter.

Thanks Japetus.

Would you care to comment on why you prefer the 50 watt JMP's or 800?

• Members
Originally posted by illini

Thanks Japetus.

Would you care to comment on why you prefer the 50 watt JMP's or 800?

They are beasts! Some people say they prefer the 100w JMP's and 800's because they get a *little* more thump...but with a 50 watter...it's MORE than enough.

Plus, you only have to worry about retubing 2 power tubes. :D

• Members

I actually prefer the DSL50 over the 100, but headroom is not what I'm looking for with a Marshall. I'd imagine that the clean channel would be a little cleaner on the 100 but once again clean ain't what I'm after from a Marshall even though I will say the DSL clean channel is one of the best I've heard in a channel switching Marshall.

• Members
Originally posted by Marshall Freak

I prefer 100 watt Marshalls over 50 watt Marshalls every time I've tried. All that means, is that everyone has different tastes, and you should probably try out both to see which you prefer.
:)

Problem is that I have found 50 watters that sound amazing and like crap over the years. Same goes for the 100's. I wish I could just get every option in a room and compare, but that hasn't been possible yet. So, the experience you all have is very informative to me.

I did not know that much about the Marshall line when I started doing research, other than I knew that I liked the voicing of them. But, most of the ones I had played did not do it for me. Thank you to all of you who have helped guide my tonal path. :)

• Members

I always thought 50w was better for me since it breaks up faster.

I recently tried Boogie Stilletto, It has a 50w/100w toggle switch, I was shocked to find out I liked it better when it was set for 100w. it wasn't just headroom, it sounded more open and better to me.

• Members

I have 50 watt 1987 Plexi, , i dont think you`ll have an issue going with 50 watts opposed to 100 watts volume wise.
1+ for the comment regarding only having to change 2 EL34`s too. It`s going to be cheaper going with a 50watter for sure, you could allways put some of the money your saving into some really nice tubes.
Good luck
Brad

• Members

I have a 50 watter and I can't imagine needing more. As stated above, a Marshall isn't about clean headroom anyhow. I get usable cleans for what I play. It cleans up much nicer with a strat or simalar single coiled guitar. Even with 50 watts I have to use a hotplate or a sound shield, or turn the amp into the back wall. We mic up always. My 800 is a 2205 channel switcher and I love it. I'd love to be able to "spend some quality time" with all of the good Marshalls but I'd have to sell this one to afford a different one and thats not happening. My 2205 is plenty versitile for me and it reacts nicely to different guitars.

• Members
Originally posted by Japetus

They are beasts! Some people say they prefer the 100w JMP's and 800's because they get a *little* more thump...but with a 50 watter...it's MORE than enough.

Plus, you only have to worry about retubing 2 power tubes.
:D

aint that the truth.I was in a music store and they had one..I opened it up just a little,.and a secretary from a business next door came running into the music and started to yell at me to turn it down..lol..

great amp !!!..

Archived