I LOVE eating REALLY REALLY hot and spicy foods but....

TU BE

• Members

hiccups? interesting. never heard that one before.

most friends of mine who come over for dinner(we're south indian) just go ape{censored} on the water or coke/pepsi and end up "taking a breather". meanwhile, i don't get halfway through a glass of water and my dad often goes without.

• Members

Originally posted by TU BE

What is this "purple pill" you speak of?

Nexxium. It's for Gastro Esophogeal Reflux Disease, or GERD. That's when stomach liquids leak back up into the esophagous (food tube). If you've ever burped up some acidic stomach gunk, that's basically it, but some folks have that problem regularly giving heartburn like symptoms.

I think you are probably just really tweaking the nerves with the hot foods. If you don't have other stomach issues, it's probably not something you need Nex or anti-acid things like Prilosec or Prevacid for.

In fact, the active chemical that we enjoy in hot foods is an alkali , the opposite of an acid.

That's why fruit juice and other acidic drinks help put the 'flames' out.

BIKEHORN : I thought I knew spicy food until I started eating Indian cuisine. WOW ! Never - EVER - dare an Indian chef to make it extra hot. It is an eternal flame....

• Members

Originally posted by John S. Shinal

BIKEHORN : I thought I knew spicy food until I started eating Indian cuisine. WOW ! Never - EVER - dare an Indian chef to make it extra hot. It is an eternal flame....

LMAO! my mom and i sometimes water it down for people who might be a little more sensitive, but i'm generally of the opinion that it isn't authentic unless it's the same as the way we eat it. In general i put a touch more pepper than my mom does...

actually the food varies region to region, and within that, from household to household. you could take a trip to india just for the food. example: if you go to the extreme southern tip of india to the city of Trivandrum(actually, it's called Thiruvananthapuram now, but i think you might prefer the truncated British version...) they put coconut in everything because it's so plentiful there. takes some getting used to.

• Members

I get ring burn, and sometimes I get intestinal cramping.

Spicy food is great anytime...

Oh, and another thing - if you get heartburn (preferrably before...), drink orange juice, grapefruit juice, etc.

The citric acid tricks your stomach into thinking it had produced enough acid to digest the food.

I drink a half-glass of orange juice before bed, and I don't get heartburn now.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

I'm happy that between being part red neck and part mexican I can rpetty much eat the hottet food anyone can throw at me and my stomach takes it like a champ:cool:

I'm going to go eat some garbage now;)

Don't forget the tabasco sauce.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

So many people say that stuff is grand, but I really just can't stand it on food.

Does that orange juice trick always work?

As far as I know...

Sorry if it sounds like I am contradicting myself a bit - as far as I know the times that I got heartburn since I started, I'm fiarly sure that I didn't drink any OJ that night.

I know that the frequency has gone down significantly.

I was getting it about 2-3 time a month, bad enough that you wake up and you have a pool of acid sitting on the back of your throat, and in agony.

I'd eat half a bottle of anti-acids, and I started doing a google search on it - I found a website that says to drink citrus to calm it down, and it will help - that night, I mixed up some lime-aid, and drank a good 2-3 glasses, afterwards, I felt a WHOLE lot better. That's what started it - I just took that and ran with it.

Hell, even if it's BS (and I'm just lucky) - drinking OJ doesn't hurt anything...

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

As far as I know...

Sorry if it sounds like I am contradicting myself a bit - as far as I know the times that I got heartburn since I started, I'm fiarly sure that I didn't drink any OJ that night.

I know that the frequency has gone down significantly.

I was getting it about 2-3 time a month, bad enough that you wake up and you have a pool of acid sitting on the back of your throat, and in agony.

I'd eat half a bottle of anti-acids, and I started doing a google search on it - I found a website that says to drink citrus to calm it down, and it will help - that night, I mixed up some lime-aid, and drank a good 2-3 glasses, afterwards, I felt a WHOLE lot better. That's what started it - I just took that and ran with it.

Hell, even if it's BS (and I'm just lucky) - drinking OJ doesn't hurt anything...

I very rarely ever get heart burn, but I know a lot of people who do get it.

BTW, I drink Orange Juice all the time. Too much in fact I don't think all that sugar is good for my diet.

Archived