The "British sound"

pack 66

• Members

Can someone please tell me what the "British" sound is? I am new to guitar and read tons of equipment reviews. As I get better I will look to add to my gear. I am trying to educate myself for that reason and so I can just be well versed in the art. What does "British " mean? The Beatles, don't really sound like the Who to me but, both are British. By extension there must be an American sound as well? Does that mean Elvis or B.B. King or Nirvana? I guess what I am looking for are examples of particular bands or songs. The Beatles' sound on Sgt. Pepper will mean much more to me than "think a Marhsall Plexi". Thanks for taking the time.

• Members

Are you referring to the "British Sound" of guitar tones? Because that's what we'll discribe to you in this forum.

I'd say it's characterised in it's cleaner and more distorted forms by a bold (I'm sorry I can't not use abstract terms in these things) midrange with a jagged top and tight bottom.

So for instance... AC/DC. Jimi Hendrix.

An American sound atleast in the case of modern music means a sound like err um, Linkin Park or Korn or something. The midrange is less distinct but there's a womping bottom end.

• Members

British: Marshall
American modern: Mesa
American Vintage: Fender.

They dont cover everything, but most other amps seem to fall roughly into groups you'd find those three in.

I cant really describe a british tone etc, but you'll get to know them soon enough.

Edit: How could I forget Vox! Chimeyness and smooth (loud :p) OD from them!

• Members

Originally posted by Sty1es

To me....

British OD tone = Marshall

British clean tone = Vox

When I think of British vs. American sound, I think primarily of overdriven sounds and yes, that sound is Marshall (EL34 based) amps all the way. The sound that jumps to my mind as a classic example is early AC/DC (Highway to Hell, Powerage, etc.).

This sound is differentiated from American, which was typically played on Fender 6L6 or 6V6 based amps (Twin, Bassman, Deluxe, etc) and had a rounder, sweeter top end, pronounced mids, and less tightness in the bass. Trying to think of a well-known example but my brain ain't working right today (somebody throw me a friken bone...).

Archived