Peavey Rockmaster thru EL84 amp??

DirtyChains

• Members

I have just recently bought a rockmaster preamp. If I were you I wouldn't dismiss it to the thought of a 5150. I have heard many 5150s and also played through one and the rockmaster easily stands up to it. If anything, the rockmaster is clearer sounding than the 5150 which may be a good, or bad thing.

If you have a bright poweramp just keep the 'edge' or treble down on the rockmaster and it will sound great.

-Darrel

• Members

The Rockmaster sounds good thru EL84's but you have to be looking for that kind of tone. The EL84 has a earlier breakup like an EL34. It adds to the crunch of the tone. If you want tight bottom end and clear tones then go with 6L6's. The Rockmaster works like a dream thru the loop return of a 5150. That's how the clips on my site were recorded.
Jerry

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by JerryP

The Rockmaster sounds good thru EL84's but you have to be looking for that kind of tone. The EL84 has a earlier breakup like an EL34. It adds to the crunch of the tone. If you want tight bottom end and clear tones then go with 6L6's. The Rockmaster works like a dream thru the loop return of a 5150. That's how the clips on my site were recorded.

Jerry

+1. I run mine through the Ultra plus effects return. Can't quite decide if I want to go to an entire rack setup yet though. Cheers Lucius

Archived