is there a substitute for a 7199 tube?

fishfartz

• Members

inside a very old silvertone medalist stereo tube amplifier

inside it has a 12ax7, and two 7199s

then in the back which you can get to without taking off the top there are four EL84s. i love pods for recording but for jamming/live i miss that sag, so ive been looking for a tube amplifier to run it through that has a flat frequency response - and i finally found it! it has hookups for 16, 8, or 4 ohm loads.

its funny, the pod actually sounds good through my small 10watter class A amp, but not so good through the jcm800 or twin. thats why ive been searching for a flat frequency responsed tube amplifier (and did not want to give that dik kolbe any $$ for the atomic amp after the way he treats others)

• Members

my old lectrolab head takes 7189's. from what i understand the 7189 and 99's are about the same as an el 84. the main difference is that the 7189 will take 400 plate volts while the el 84 is in the 340-360 range. what that means is that you can use el 84's or 6bq5's.. it's just that they won't last as long.

• Members

Originally posted by 1big1

my old lectrolab head takes 7189's. from what i understand the 7189 and 99's are about the same as an el 84. the main difference is that the 7189 will take 400 plate volts while the el 84 is in the 340-360 range. what that means is that you can use el 84's or 6bq5's.. it's just that they won't last as long.

but the 7199 is a preamp tube, isnt it?

i ask because inside the amp there are 3 tubes - a 12ax7, and two 7199s

then the powertubes are on the outside, four EL84s

• Members

They aren't even close to being interchangable. Way different.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Jerry

i appreciate the feedback Jerry, i just know that tube is not as common and was not sure about anything that i could substitute.

i will definately not want to fry this amp, i love it and right now it sounds so good, even with all the old tubes in it (i did have to replace the one 12ax7)

guess ill just have to buy the 7199s

thanks again

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Jerry

i just checked duncan's and you are quite right sir. 7189's have a bunch of swapable tubes.. but 7199's are different. i was WRONG.:o does this mean i don't get two hundred dollars and i don't get to pass go?

• Members

7189s are similar to an EL84, 7199s are completely different.

There is no sub for a 7199. At least they're less expensive that comparable NOS 12AX7s.

• Members

Originally posted by KCA NOS Tubes

7189s are similar to an EL84, 7199s are completely different.

There is no sub for a 7199. At least they're less expensive that comparable NOS 12AX7s.

Check out some antique radio repairman in your area, they usually have some of those tubes laying around. If you can't find one e-mail me and I'll see what I can do.

Archived