Celestion black back vs. green backs?

gnugear

• Members

Blacks are just latter greens the real issue is are they G12m(25 watt) or G12H (30watt).

no matter what they are great speakers maybe not pre rola celestions, with the green back cachet and the 30 have a different VC in the late 70's, they have some who are not fans but better than anything C makes in china. got a set of H and a set of RI green backs ...they destroy the RI

• Members

I have a cab w/ 78 Blackbacks and a newer cab w/ reissue Greenies. IMO....the blackbacks I have sound a bit darker than the greens. The greens have a lot of bite...the blacks are abit smoother and rounder to my ear. THE perfect match for my SLO.

Just curious....what did you pay for the quad?

• Members

Originally posted by lenduffy

I have a cab w/ 78 Blackbacks and a newer cab w/ reissue Greenies. IMO....the blackbacks I have sound a bit darker than the greens. The greens have a lot of bite...the blacks are abit smoother and rounder to my ear. THE perfect match for my SLO.

Just curious....what did you pay for the quad?

perfect description !

• 3 years later...
  • Members

ok, here's the skinny. celestion used some different plastic backs because they were running out of greens and the speakers are no different, except that most but not all blackbacks are G12H30's and most but not all creambacks are greenbacks. I have a 76' with crembacks. The age seems to have mellowed them quite a bit more than new greenbacks.

• Members

From Celestion's web site:

"My G12Ms have got black covers, how are they different to the Greenback?

Although the standard colour for G12M rear covers was green ('field green' it was called originally), G12M and G12H speakers were also made with black, as well as grey, beige and cream rear covers at various times. This was probably due to a shortage of the correct colour plastic to make them from (e.g. late delivery of the raw material). The different colour covers were only a cosmetic change not affecting the acoustic performance of the speakers in any way. Black, grey, cream, beige or green, they're all 'Greenbacks'."

Adam Jones is reputed to have blackbacks in his marshall cab.

• Members

You hit the nail on the head with that one.....blackbacks are definitely darker sounding compared to greenbacks.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Hi Ya'll

I am on older professional guitar player from Adelaide, Australia, that dropped out of the industry for about 10 years and have now found myself getting back into it. All those years ago, I sold my early Marshall stuff. Old grey-cloth cabs, heads, the lot for silly prices

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Jimi Hendrix played with G12H (30w) and also played a plexi of which Adam's '76 super bass is based on(circuitry). The superbass has more low end and plus his is modded as well. But if you listen to the tone of Jimi and the tone of Adam they are very similar in that their leads are liquid and has an overall dark character. I would be willing to bet money that Adam runs g12h30's "blackbacks" in his Marshall cab. They may even be in his mesa cabinets(Stiletto). By the way who ever said adam's tone is bright should listen a little harder. Here's celestion's description of the G12H.

"It

Archived