Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in tone: Peavey Ultra 60 head vs. newer 112/212 line...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in tone: Peavey Ultra 60 head vs. newer 112/212 line...

The Ultra 60 head is older and has the old color/logo (turquoise trim and the pointy Peavey logo) and the Ultra combo's have the new Peavey block lettered logo...

but they have the same tube setup (60 watts, 4 12AX7 preamp and 2 6L6 power tubes) and almost identical features.

Is there a difference in the tone or did they just make combo amps based on the old Ultra 60 head and spiff up the amp cosmetically?

Thanks for any insight.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;KA-BONGGGGG!!!&quot;<br />
    <br />
    - El Kabong</div>

bump
    <br />
    - El Kabong</div>

Comment

Originally posted by cvogue
      The Ultra 60 head is older and has the old color/logo (turquoise trim and the pointy Peavey logo) and the Ultra combo's have the new Peavey block lettered logo...

but they have the same tube setup (60 watts, 4 12AX7 preamp and 2 6L6 power tubes) and almost identical features.

Is there a difference in the tone or did they just make combo amps based on the old Ultra 60 head and spiff up the amp cosmetically?

Thanks for any insight.

I have the 112 combo version and the only difference I can tell is that they added a resonance switch. Other than that, it's pretty much the old head version. I like mine very much. I recently put a Vintage 30 speaker in and want to eventually retube it with JJ tubes. They are very inexpensive used as I got mine for $299!

Comment

come on peavey people.... help answer cvogue!!!! he's totally cool!!!
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Check out my website and download my cd, Carousel @:<br />
        <a href="http://www.johnmendozamusic.com" target="_blank">www.johnmendozamusic.com</a><br />
        <a href="http://www.myspace.com/johnmendozamusic" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/johnmendozamusic</a><br />
        <br />
        My Gear:<br />
        PRS Custom 22 <font color="purple">PURPLE</font><br />
        PRS Custom 22 <font color="orange">Vintage Yellow</font><br />
        Peavey Wolfgang<br />
        EB MM Morse y2k in <font color="purple">PURPLE!!!!!</font><br />
        Gibson LP Standard<br />
        Ibanez Jem 7EAFX<br />
        Fender Lonestar Strat<br />
        Taylor 314CE<br />
        EVH 5150 III MINI<br />
        <br />
        <font color="red">XT Brotherhood</font><br />
        <br />
        Buy my first CD<br />
        <a href="http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnmendoza" target="_blank">http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnmendoza</a></font></div>

Comment

I know that my Ultra 212 combo ran into a 4x12 XXX cabinet sounds identical to an Ultra head ran into a 4X12 XXX cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Drojo

I have the 112 combo version and the only difference I can tell is that they added a resonance switch. Other than that, it's pretty much the old head version. I like mine very much. I recently put a Vintage 30 speaker in and want to eventually retube it with JJ tubes. They are very inexpensive used as I got mine for $299!

Thanks Steve! Yeah I'd be driving Vintage 30's and a G12H30.

Have you heard the Ultra 60 head? How did it sound compared to your 112?

I played the 2x12 combo and it sounded great. I've got a line on an old Ultra 60 head for cheap and I'm really tempted!
            <br />
            - El Kabong</div>

Comment

Originally posted by mystixboi1
              come on peavey people.... help answer cvogue!!!! he's totally cool!!!

Thanks man! Appreciate it.

I don't know how cool I am really...

although I do have Oolong as my avatar
              <br />
              - El Kabong</div>

Comment

Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
                I know that my Ultra 212 combo ran into a 4x12 XXX cabinet sounds identical to an Ultra head ran into a 4X12 XXX cabinet.

Is that the old Ultra head (Ultra 60, old school Peavey look with non light up logo and turquoise trim) or the newer Ultra (plus?) head?

THanks!
                <br />
                - El Kabong</div>

Comment

Working...
                X