Difference in tone: Peavey Ultra 60 head vs. newer 112/212 line...

cvogue

• Members

The Ultra 60 head is older and has the old color/logo (turquoise trim and the pointy Peavey logo) and the Ultra combo's have the new Peavey block lettered logo...

but they have the same tube setup (60 watts, 4 12AX7 preamp and 2 6L6 power tubes) and almost identical features.

Is there a difference in the tone or did they just make combo amps based on the old Ultra 60 head and spiff up the amp cosmetically?

Thanks for any insight.

• Members

Originally posted by cvogue

The Ultra 60 head is older and has the old color/logo (turquoise trim and the pointy Peavey logo) and the Ultra combo's have the new Peavey block lettered logo...

but they have the same tube setup (60 watts, 4 12AX7 preamp and 2 6L6 power tubes) and almost identical features.

Is there a difference in the tone or did they just make combo amps based on the old Ultra 60 head and spiff up the amp cosmetically?

Thanks for any insight.

I have the 112 combo version and the only difference I can tell is that they added a resonance switch. Other than that, it's pretty much the old head version. I like mine very much. I recently put a Vintage 30 speaker in and want to eventually retube it with JJ tubes. They are very inexpensive used as I got mine for $299!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Drojo

I have the 112 combo version and the only difference I can tell is that they added a resonance switch. Other than that, it's pretty much the old head version. I like mine very much. I recently put a Vintage 30 speaker in and want to eventually retube it with JJ tubes. They are very inexpensive used as I got mine for $299!
:thu:

Thanks Steve! Yeah I'd be driving Vintage 30's and a G12H30.

Have you heard the Ultra 60 head? How did it sound compared to your 112?

I played the 2x12 combo and it sounded great. I've got a line on an old Ultra 60 head for cheap and I'm really tempted! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood

I know that my Ultra 212 combo ran into a 4x12 XXX cabinet sounds identical to an Ultra head ran into a 4X12 XXX cabinet.

Is that the old Ultra head (Ultra 60, old school Peavey look with non light up logo and turquoise trim) or the newer Ultra (plus?) head?

THanks!

Archived