Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLIP: Randy Van Sykes, JLeurck, Alex Flouros, and Gainfreak present......

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLIP: Randy Van Sykes, JLeurck, Alex Flouros, and Gainfreak present......

...a little something inspired by Kage's idea to do a benefit project for the American Cancer Association and the SPCA. This isn't exactly a shred fest, but kind of goes from classical, to folk, to rock with guitars involved in each movement. Give it a listen with an open mind.......

I. The Promise - this features Adam Martin (Randy Van Sykes) on both on nylon string and electric accompanied by The Burnham Philharmonic Orchestra (which is largely made up of SampleTank and Alesis samples ). Adam writes such awesome stuff and plays like a composer - thought he'd sound great backed up by a full orchestra....I think he does! He even creates a little guitar orchestra of his own halfway through the movement

II. Sister Song (for Alix) - tried to catch the feminine, the mischeivious, and the brooding sides of Kage's sister from how he described her to me......this is a work in progress and the next time you hear this you will hear a LOT of Myron Stratis.

III. The Steel Kage - this one features two of Kage's favorite players in somewhat of a shootout. Alex Flouros takes the first super-aggressive solo, while the much under-recorded and mysteriously humble Ralph (Gainfreak) lights it up right after. Recorded in front of 80,000 screaming fans at Munich's Olympic Stadium

Again, a lot of this isn't the typical stuff that gets love here, but we think it came out pretty well. Tell us what you think.....

BTW, Adam, Alex, and Ralph......you guys are freakin' awesome!
    http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Leurck/The Steel Kage Suite Final 3.mp3

These aren't scanned but soft copies - the fonts may appear screwed up, but you can read the liner notes here:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Images/The Steel Kage Suite Back.emf
    John

==================

This is awesome. And Kage really had cancer?
    Maps
    Orange Rockerverb 50
    Mesa 4x12
    Peavey Blues Classic 50
    Guitars
    ESP Ronnie Wood Tele
    Fender USA Strat
    Ibanez AF105f
    Larrivee D-03WL
    FX
    Fulltone OCD
    MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

I am listening to it now...

The sound is great.

I guess in this day and age it doesn't really matter if it is an "orchestra" or not.

Was it at least done on a keyboard? Or some kind of built-in sample?

Well at any rate. It sounds good.

I sound good.

II is on right now, the snare drum sound funny. Yes...I am anal about the snare sound. Nobody else will care.

To be continued....

Comment

Originally posted by jem7vwh
        This is awesome. And Kage really had cancer?

Yes, he did. He'll have to give the details, but yeah, the man is a survivor.....
        John

==================

Comment

Fan-Freakin=Tabulous Everyone!
          Superb chops from everyone involved! This is getting saved to the hard-drive for MUCH more listening!

Gary
          Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
          Suicide by Overdrive

I play high gain, head banging , Wookie music.

I am not in a band. I am in a cultski.
          I have no gear.

Jesus IS LORD

Comment

Sounded really good guys. My fave was the Alix one...guess I'm just feminine! Nah, I liked it all tho...well done fellaz!

Comment

Sounded great. Ralph's solo in this one was definitely killer!

Tyler
              Clips:
              http://music.mp3lizard.com/twpietz37/

Comment

Gear used? Who was playing the part that used the harmonizer?
                R I P
                Dimebag Darrell
                1966 - 2004

http://community.webshots.com/user/yngzaklynch

Comment

Originally posted by 17 Tubes
                  I guess in this day and age it doesn't really matter if it is an "orchestra" or not.

Was it at least done on a keyboard? Or some kind of built-in sample?

The piano was just the 4mb stereo classical grand played from my well-worn Alesis QuadraSynth+. I used that as a controller for the SampleTank stuff (strings) and slaved to an Alesis QSR with a Classical Instruments expansion card for the woodwinds. Tracked them all individually and mixed.

Originally posted by 17 Tubes
                  II is on right now, the snare drum sound funny. Yes...I am anal about the snare sound. Nobody else will care.

I want better drum samples badly! I need a new computer so I can use my old one to run a GigaSampler. That's a few $$$ down the road, though.

Thanks for checking this out, man. We appreciate any and all input.
                  John

==================

Comment

Gary, J666 and Tyler......thanks for checking it out. I'm glad you're digging it.

Yngzaklynch.....I know Adam used his Ibanez RG550 through a Carvin Legacy (don't know if he was boosting with anything). I don't actually even know what Alex and Ralph were using. Whatever the hell it was, I'm sure it wouldn't sound quite as good if I were using it!

BTW, what part are you thinking a harmonizer was used?
                    John

==================

Comment

Absolutely amazing!
                      - Sean.

Please note that all statements contained herein are OPINION and not FACT. Take all advice, opinions, and other statements expressed in this post for as much or as little as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by JLeurck
                        Gary, J666 and Tyler......thanks for checking it out. I'm glad you're digging it.

Yngzaklynch.....I know Adam used his Ibanez RG550 through a Carvin Legacy (don't know if he was boosting with anything). I don't actually even know what Alex and Ralph were using. Whatever the hell it was, I'm sure it wouldn't sound quite as good if I were using it!

BTW, what part are you thinking a harmonizer was used?

I don't know as Quick time doesn't let me know but's about 3/4 over.
                        R I P
                        Dimebag Darrell
                        1966 - 2004

http://community.webshots.com/user/yngzaklynch

Comment

Very cool stuff dudes, and I love thematic instrumentals.
                          BobSavage.net - Music, Amp demos...
                          Youtube Vids
                          Savage Woodworks

Comment

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

I don't know as Quick time doesn't let me know but's about 3/4 over.

OK, about halfway through Ralph's solo......I'm not sure if he used a Harmonizer or just overdubbed a two-measure harmony part. What ever it is, that is his doing - I got the track with that part already in there. It does sound cool as hell. I'm hoping some of the other culprits will hop in here soon....it's kind of late in Alex's part of the world right now!
                            John

==================

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Savage
                              Very cool stuff dudes, and I love thematic instrumentals.

Hey, Bob It sure was fun to hear someone else play over them - I'm really in a rut, playing-wise right now. When that happens I just put the damned thing down and try to write my way out of it. Glad you liked it!

Any news on when your CD is going to be finished?
                              John

==================

Comment

Working...
                              X