CLIP: Randy Van Sykes, JLeurck, Alex Flouros, and Gainfreak present......

JLeurck

• Members

...a little something inspired by Kage's idea to do a benefit project for the American Cancer Association and the SPCA. This isn't exactly a shred fest, but kind of goes from classical, to folk, to rock with guitars involved in each movement. Give it a listen with an open mind.......

I. The Promise - this features Adam Martin (Randy Van Sykes) on both on nylon string and electric accompanied by The Burnham Philharmonic Orchestra (which is largely made up of SampleTank and Alesis samples :(). Adam writes such awesome stuff and plays like a composer - thought he'd sound great backed up by a full orchestra....I think he does! He even creates a little guitar orchestra of his own halfway through the movement

II. Sister Song (for Alix) - tried to catch the feminine, the mischeivious, and the brooding sides of Kage's sister from how he described her to me......this is a work in progress and the next time you hear this you will hear a LOT of Myron Stratis.

III. The Steel Kage - this one features two of Kage's favorite players in somewhat of a shootout. Alex Flouros takes the first super-aggressive solo, while the much under-recorded and mysteriously humble Ralph (Gainfreak) lights it up right after. Recorded in front of 80,000 screaming fans at Munich's Olympic Stadium;)

Again, a lot of this isn't the typical stuff that gets love here, but we think it came out pretty well. Tell us what you think.....

BTW, Adam, Alex, and Ralph......you guys are freakin' awesome!

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Leurck/The Steel Kage Suite Final 3.mp3

The

The

These aren't scanned but soft copies - the fonts may appear screwed up, but you can read the liner notes here:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Images/The Steel Kage Suite Back.emf

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am listening to it now...

The sound is great.

I guess in this day and age it doesn't really matter if it is an "orchestra" or not.

Was it at least done on a keyboard? Or some kind of built-in sample?

Well at any rate. It sounds good.

I sound good.

II is on right now, the snare drum sound funny. Yes...I am anal about the snare sound. Nobody else will care.

To be continued....

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I guess in this day and age it doesn't really matter if it is an "orchestra" or not.

Was it at least done on a keyboard? Or some kind of built-in sample?

The piano was just the 4mb stereo classical grand played from my well-worn Alesis QuadraSynth+. I used that as a controller for the SampleTank stuff (strings) and slaved to an Alesis QSR with a Classical Instruments expansion card for the woodwinds. Tracked them all individually and mixed.

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

II is on right now, the snare drum sound funny. Yes...I am anal about the snare sound. Nobody else will care.

I want better drum samples badly! I need a new computer so I can use my old one to run a GigaSampler. That's a few $$$ down the road, though.

Thanks for checking this out, man. We appreciate any and all input.

• Members

Gary, J666 and Tyler......thanks for checking it out. I'm glad you're digging it.

Yngzaklynch.....I know Adam used his Ibanez RG550 through a Carvin Legacy (don't know if he was boosting with anything). I don't actually even know what Alex and Ralph were using. Whatever the hell it was, I'm sure it wouldn't sound quite as good if I were using it!

BTW, what part are you thinking a harmonizer was used?

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

Gary, J666 and Tyler......thanks for checking it out. I'm glad you're digging it.

Yngzaklynch.....I know Adam used his Ibanez RG550 through a Carvin Legacy (don't know if he was boosting with anything). I don't actually even know what Alex and Ralph were using. Whatever the hell it was, I'm sure it wouldn't sound quite as good if I were using it!

BTW, what part are you thinking a harmonizer was used?

I don't know as Quick time doesn't let me know but's about 3/4 over.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

I don't know as Quick time doesn't let me know but's about 3/4 over.

OK, about halfway through Ralph's solo......I'm not sure if he used a Harmonizer or just overdubbed a two-measure harmony part. What ever it is, that is his doing - I got the track with that part already in there. It does sound cool as hell. I'm hoping some of the other culprits will hop in here soon....it's kind of late in Alex's part of the world right now!

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Very cool stuff dudes, and I love thematic instrumentals.

Hey, Bob:) It sure was fun to hear someone else play over them - I'm really in a rut, playing-wise right now. When that happens I just put the damned thing down and try to write my way out of it. Glad you liked it!

Any news on when your CD is going to be finished?

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

I can clearly hear Ralph from 6:40 - 7:40, classic Gainfreak licks.
;)

This is only like the third or fourth time I've ever got to hear Ralph play - you guys are spoiled. Hell, if I could play like that I'd never leave the house. I'd just sit here all day blowing my own mind with my chops of doom! Christ, Alex, too. I've never heard him play with so much fury! It sounded like he was actually trying to kill someone with his solo:mad:! Those two solos complimented each other so well.......you should have heard these clowns "......well, this is a pretty crappy take...........this doesn't sound so good.....blah, blah, blah" I'm like, P-LEASE you guys!

So many of you guys (yourself included, Dan) are freakin' monster players. Such a shame that it's so hard to support a family life playing, writing, recording, etc. Lots of insane talent out there that never gets heard.

I wish I could get a better handle on the mix, especially on the first movement - there is a TON of detail in the parts that Adam sent. He used just awesome taste and restrait, but I think the mix is failing his parts a bit. I sure wish I had someone else with a good set of ears down here to help mix this.

Anyhoooo.......glad you're liking it, Dan.

Cheers,

Archived