Do your guitar skills justify your gear collection?

televisionary

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

hmm. Not sure really. I think so, but then it doesnt really matter if your good or not. If really good tone makes me happy then thats all i care about.

I can shred, i can play some jazz chords i can play some thrash rythem, i can play a bit of funk, i can play some blues, i can fingerpick ok and i can improvise pretty well.

I own a

• Members

Wouldn't it rock if Guitar Center or wherever, tested you before you could buy the high end gear? They had a panel of musicians (albeit dead end ones, considering they work at GC) that critiqued your playing, and based on your score, you get to buy a Crate and a Squire, or a Les Paul and a Triple Rectifier. If the Sonic Youth type guys liked your playing, they'd let you buy a Jazzmaster and a Vox.

• Members

Great question! I was looking at some of those Mondo rigs... and was thinking.... "geez, I hope dude can play".

But seriously... whether you can play or not... there is NOTHING wrong with loving the instrument and amplifiers. I think they are pretty righteous things to collect. :)

That having been said... I did a couple year stint as a front of house sound guy for a club here in town. I usually found the more extravagent the guys guitar rig... the worse a player he was. Same with Bass guys. Every once in a while someone would suprise me with KILLER gear AND killer chops though.... :)

• Members

Originally posted by tiger roach

I see people every day with really nice cars that can't drive worth a damn.
:freak:

I'm not sure if this is a good argument. It's about as effective as "Why do fat people wear nice clothes? Everything looks like {censored} on them...."

I guess it would make since if some terrible driver was driving a professional NASCAR vehicle around town. But I think that's illegal so it doesn't work either...

• Members

If you are in a band making money every week you should have professional grade gear. If you jam once in a while you should have middle of the road gear. If you never leave your house you should have a POD.

On second thought, {censored} that. Everyone should have a wall of Marshalls, Boogies and 25 PRS's back stage.