I need a good "smart" harmonizer

guitarist17

• Members

This may sound stubborn, but im one of the people that believe you shouldn't do something on a recording, if you can't do it live, may sound stupid to some of you, but thats just the way I look at things. (take for example, as i lay dying, opening up for in flames, and not doing the crazy double bass in the song 94 hrs...)

On that note, I don't know much about harmonizers. Alot of the bands i listen to, have 2 part guitar harmonies ,but then another guitar in the background doing the rhythm section. I figure, the only way i can pull off this same effect in a 2 guitar band, is to use a harmonizer. Can someone tell me how a harmonizer works? how do i tell it to harmonize with a a major 3rd when I play a G in one part of a song, but with a flat 3rd in another part of a song? is that possible to do? Do harmonizers Idenitify with key signatures? I could use alittle help, thanks guys :D

Chris

• Members

There are many that can do what you are talking about....

Mainly the Eventides and TC Electronic G Force...

Both can be programmed for whatever scales you play in for a set song... You can even make up scales and assign specific harmonies to each note....

I use an Eventide GTR4000 mainly for harmonies...But a G Force will also do it.

Steve

• Members

Regarding your question about different harmony intervals in the different parts of the same song, just look for a harmonizer with MIDI control, and the ability to save user presets/patches.

You can then program the required Major Third in G, and Minor Third in G patches, and change between them at will. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

The GMajor isnt Intellegent I dont beleive, so Probably wouldnt be a whole lot better than your Whammy Pedal.

im surprised more people havent said why not just your whammy haha. but while that does indeed sound cool, it doesnt do the trick obviously like a smart harmonizer. I'd love to get one of these TC units. what do alot of the "big" melodic death guys use? I know alot of them just do the harmonies themselves ( as do i with the other guitarist in my band), but how about for the ones that don't?

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by Rockys Mob

if you want to go cheap? the boss super shifter is intelligent for major and minor scales.

funny you should mention that after i just looked at the price of the {censored}ing G Force..........{censored} :freak: :freak: :freak: :freak: :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Have the Bass Harmonize the lines with you
:D

thats what i do

it doesnt work with really complicated {censored} or solos, but i give the bass player the lower notes of the harmony, and i do the higher ones and it sounds more than OK.

• Members

I'm using a Rocktron Intellipitch since some years now. Its intelligent, made by WaveLabs (same as TC harmonizers in the Force I believe), has 10 or 12 sclaes, is a 19" unit, understands midi - and is MUCH better than all the pedal stuff available. Not an Eventide of course, but fits my needs perfectly.

• Members

I use a TC-Helicon Quintet for harmonies. You can control it via midi and it's simple to program - just select 'scale mode', chose the key in which you're playing and the voice(s) you want to add.

It's made for vocals, but works well with guitar, too. Bought it for around 200 EUR on Ebay and was amazed how good it sounds - great value for the money imo. An Eventide or a G-Force would've been overkill for me, because I need it just for a band where I play 'part-time'.

• Members

get a third guitar player? :freak: LOL

i know how tough a 2 player band can be sometimes, and having three sometimes is overkill, depending on the music.

i also agree about the "if you cant do it live, dont do it in the studio" mentallity...to a point. i dont think you should do 50 harmony parts in a song, but i see nothing wrong with doing a harmony with a rhythm guitar on a recording and then not having the rhythm there live. i guess it just doesnt bother me all that much anymore :)

good luck on the search though...i prefer to do without all the effects myself.

• Members

Chris, are you familiar with The Absence? One of their guitarists posts here with the name ihave27frets. He uses a G Major live for harmony stuff. Maybe he could help you out. Their stuff has TONS of layered harmonies and rhythms and I've heard they pull off their stuff perfectly live.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Chris, are you familiar with The Absence? One of their guitarists posts here with the name ihave27frets. He uses a G Major live for harmony stuff. Maybe he could help you out. Their stuff has TONS of layered harmonies and rhythms and I've heard they pull off their stuff perfectly live.

Yea I'm a fan of the absence, good stuff for sure. I wanted a "smart" harmonizer, but i dunno if i can get one in my price range, so maybe the g major would have to do. I sure as hell am not gonna plunk down the 1300 bux for a G force haha thanks mega :D

Chris

Archived