-

Aineias

• Members

The best cabinet for the mark IV is the mesa halfback cab which they don't make anymore.

That being said I think if you can get an orange 412 or 212 with a mix of vintage 30's and classic lead 80's you will be pretty happy. I am assuming that Orange is cheaper over there than it is in the USA.

• Members

Assuming Avatarspeakers aren't available to UK, I'll go ahead and recommend speakers.

Well i use classic lead 80's with my mark IV. They are very well balanced, darker sounding than V30's. The good thing about that is, since mark IV is a crazy flexible amp, you can still sound bright out of cl80's. But since you can sound dark if you want, it won't be a problem ieither. So you cant good flexibility. Trust me. WHoever came into my house to check amps with the Avatar i have, they liked it alot! As for 4x12 or 2x12, I would go 4x12 but I honestly didnt wanna spend that much and wouldn't like to carry around a 4x12. Pretty happy with my 2x12 though. I also have a 4x12 Marshall cab and Avatar is actually sounding punchier, thicker and stronger!

• Members

Originally posted by Aineias

Avatar can be ordered through the Netherlands in order to reach the UK. However, you don't get quite as good a deal on price as you would in the USA and there is also a considerable waiting period for them. Also, given all the great things I've heard about them and the fact that they are built to order in terms of speaker arrangement, I'd considered Avatar as a more "permenant" setup. However, I think it would be more sensible in that case to make the order with knowledge of a variety of speakers etc, and that requires testing which I simply don't have time to do yet and won't do until the summer.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for all the comments so far.

My pleasure :thu:

I do have a clip of the mark IV on the first page btw. If you need referance. Ill record the same clip with v30s for comparision tomorrow with the exact same settings.

• Members

Originally posted by Aineias

That;s very kind of you and I would very much appreciate it - so long as it's no bother to you. I would imagine that others would benefit from hearing the comparison as well so it sounds like an excellent idea from where I'm standing.

Sure thing man. Ive been wanting to do this for a while too. Should be nice. I'll pm you the thread tomorrow :thu:

• Members

4 x 12 vs 2 x 12: both are of the same volume, but the 2x12 is slightly tighter, the 4x12 has more bass and fills the room MUCH more, and sounds more powerful and able to handle higher volume easier.

Slanted vs Straight: not much difference - if slanted, more highs get to you and fill the room even more.

Front loaded vs Rear Loaded: front loaded is said to be tighter and have slightly less bass, but honestly, i havent noticed any significant differences.

Open back vs Closed back: closed back has much much tighter bass responce, and more bass, but doesnt fill the room as much as an open back - but the tone you'll hear from a closed back is more pure because sound is comming from just one direction

Value for money manufacturers: carvin cabs are good for the money i guess, but i dont think id buy one - invest in a quality manufacture so you wont have to flip out the cash for a better one later - but if you have to get a cheap one i guess...go for avatar

Top Quality Cabs: vht, bogner, framus, mesa (all of which are strong recommended)

Speakers: it is all to your taste! for a mark iv, ive heard the vintage 30s to be used often, but i guess they are used often for everything. im betting a bogner uberkab would sound awesome through the mark iv - has g12t75s and vintage 30s - so maybe a combination of speakers would be good. greenbacks are said to sound woody and warm, but in the cobra cabinet they are said to be very dark and tight...so you can only decide so much based on the speaker alone - the cab has a lot to do with it.

• Members

I like my Mesa 2x12 recto cab with vintage 30's. I've tried the Mesa traditional 4x12, a Peavey 1x12 with a Sheffield, a Carvin Legacy 4x12, and a 4x12 w/ g12t-75's. My current 2x12 recto cab was way better than all of those other cabs I've tried.

Based on how much I like the Recto cab I can see where the Bogner oversized cab some claim to be a great cab might be good sounding.

I did not like the 4x12 with g12t-75's but I know a lot of people do. I would like to try it with the 3/4 closed back Mesa cab with a Black Shadow.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

I like my Mesa 2x12 recto cab with vintage 30's. I've tried the Mesa traditional 4x12, a Peavey 1x12 with a Sheffield, a Carvin Legacy 4x12, and a 4x12 w/ g12t-75's. My current 2x12 recto cab was way better than all of those other cabs I've tried.

i couldnt agree with this. the 2x12 is by no means better than any 4x12 mesa cab with v30s. just more directional - and less big sounding - if thats what you want...