Does anyone find that when they're in the room with their amp....

Random Hero

• Members

...or directly infront of it, it doesn't sound as if it has enough shred gain, due to the harshness, when the note is picked. However if you leave the room, and listen from further away, you find it has more than enough? I use my maxon in the room with it, to smooth it, but if I leave the room, shut the door, and play, I don't need the maxon.

Anyone else get that? If so...what the hell can I do about it, other than stand a long way from my amp!?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Celestions are kind of known for their ice pick effect directly in front of them but they sound good everywhere else. You can get some weber beam blockers that fix that or you can put some duct tape on the inside of your grill infront of the speaker cones and your problem should go away. When I had a Marshall 1960 w75's that's what I did and it sounded way better.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

Celestions are kind of known for their ice pick effect directly in front of them but they sound good everywhere else. You can get some weber beam blockers that fix that or you can put some duct tape on the inside of your grill infront of the speaker cones and your problem should go away. When I had a Marshall 1960 w75's that's what I did and it sounded way better.

I suppose the speakers get less and less ice picky the older they get, eh?

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I don't think its a Celestion thing as much as it is simply physics.

• Members

Originally posted by kjr44130

Try turning you cab to the wall. Experiment.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

HOLY CRAP!!!

I just tried this and it made a world of difference. I used a Mesa DC-5 into a Marshall 1960A, I thought my speakers were sounding kind of harsh too(G12T75's). Here were my setting before turning my cab to the wall. I play metal.

Gain: 10(Not very sensitive, have to turn up for it to get heavy)

Treble: 3

Mid: 9

Bass:7

Presence:8

Reverb: 3

Output:3

EQ: V Shape with lowered high eq's

After:

Gain:6

Treble:6

Mid:9

Bass:4

Presence:4

Reverb:0

Output: 4

EQ: Balanced V Shape

Settings changed drastically. It sounds 100 times better with it turned to the wall.

Thanks kjr44130 !!!!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by DarkIntension

:eek:
HOLY CRAP!!!

I just tried this and it made a world of difference. I used a Mesa DC-5 into a Marshall 1960A, I thought my speakers were sounding kind of harsh too(G12T75's). Here were my setting before turning my cab to the wall. I play metal.

Gain: 10(Not very sensitive, have to turn up for it to get heavy)

Treble: 3

Mid: 9

Bass:7

Presence:8

Reverb: 3

Output:3

EQ: V Shape with lowered high eq's

After:

Gain:6

Treble:6

Mid:9

Bass:4

Presence:4

Reverb:0

Output: 4

EQ: Balanced V Shape

Settings changed drastically. It sounds 100 times better with it turned to the wall.

Thanks kjr44130 !!!!

:thu:

wow, it made that much difference!? I'm gonna have to try this later today.

Was I right in thinking some of the harshness would be tamed as the speakers age?