Who here uses a 24 3/4 scale and severly detunes?

shred-o-holic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's too short... I had an LTD that I tuned to D and I couldn't deal with that! I'm not a 24.75 guy at all though, if you're used to that feel, it might work out for you.

Also, I had an Ibanez 7 string for a while, 25.5, I was feeling that it was also too short tuned to B. I would have prefered a 27" scale tuned to B.

If you have a light touch, you might be able to deal with it, otherwise I'd say the lower you tune, the longer you have to go to keep decent string tension. (guess that's obvious, heh)

• Members

I've had no problems with 12-54s in C# standard/drop B tuning. I have 10s on my 25.5 scale standard-tuned guitar, and the feel is roughly the same.

I suspect the 12s would hold up fine through B or so. I use an unwound .018 for my 3rd string rather than the stock .026 that comes with the set. The .026 is way too heavy for decent bending (1- 1 1/2 steps + vibrato) even tuned down. Were I tuned to B, I'd throw a wound .020 on there.

Beyond that, I'd be looking at some seriously massive strings. 13-56 at least, probably at least a 60 for the bottom string.

• Members

Originally posted by KingKabong

I think it's too short... I had an LTD that I tuned to D and I couldn't deal with that! I'm not a 24.75 guy at all though, if you're used to that feel, it might work out for you.

If you have a light touch, you might be able to deal with it, otherwise I'd say the lower you tune, the longer you have to go to keep decent string tension. (guess that's obvious, heh)

My EC1000 is my D/drop C guitar at the moment; I have 11-52s on there and no issues. What string gauge were you using? I don't have a light touch at all.

• Members

Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Is it a flopfest with heavy strings?.....anyone who has a problem with detuning can {censored} off.......disclaimer in advance there...
:D:cool:

12-52's in B-standard and it's perfect. This is how my Gibson V is setup. Man I could play in B with 10's on a Gibson scaled neck if I wanted to without having strings flop. I know how to control all of that.

• Members

I prefer as high a string tension as I can get without fatiguing my hands. I play rhythm in dropped C on a ESP Viper and right now I'm digging the Zakk Wylde GHS Boomers. I'm using the 60's of his, which are thin on the high strings and thick on the bottom strings. They are almost too thin on the top, like a set of 10's, but the lowest 3 strings are pretty thick. I know the low E and A strings are 60 and 52. This makes for some super tight strings and make it much easier for me to play thrashy metal at 190-210 bpm compared to the 13-56's I was playing. I wish the G B and e strings were a little thick to better match the E A and D strings, though. But, for a solo/shredder type, you may prefer the slinky feel of the high 3 strings...I'm not that kind of player, though.

• Members

ive got 11-54 on my PRS (25" scale, not quite a gibby, not quite a fender...) and while the string tension isnt a problem, tuning is!!! LOL its in B at the moment, and it just doesnt want to stay in tune very well at that tuning, but stays in tune fine in D Standard, dropped C, or Standard tunings.

but i played my buddy's Jackson (25.5" scale) in B with a floyd and it stayed perfectly in tune even after lots of abuse and whammy dives. so id be leaning towards a 25.5" scale...or maybe just something with some standard-style tuners, since the PRS ones dont have string wound around the post...i didnt think of htat, but thats probably why im having tuning problems with it...hmmm

• Members

Originally posted by nick fury

Well look at all those stoner rock and doom bands, so many of them are using Les Pauls or SGs and tuning waaay down. Seems to work just fine for them.

I actually think you're right.........seems like a .60 or heavier bottom string set would do it....

• Members

The other guitarist in my band plays a Lesa Paul Standard and uses Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies...12-56. he tunes drop C#, Drop B, and in an odd tuning where the lowest string is tuned to A#. Never seems to have a problem. I play my PRS (25" like mentioned)with 11-60's for drop C#, and they work all the way down to Drop A# before flopping. I never have tuning issues with the PRS...It actually holds tune better than anything I've played, in any tuning, any guiage. For my main Drop B guitar though, I'm using 14-70's...and that's on a 25.5 scale.

• Members
Originally posted by MuCkO

When i had my ESP Viper, i tuned to B and drop A, using 058's, never had any problems.

That's the guitar I'm thinking about going with........I know they have the baritone VB but there is this one I can buy (regular Viper) that weighs a ton.............and I like very heavy guitars......the VB-400's I've tried are lighter..

• Members

Originally posted by shred-o-holic

That's the guitar I'm thinking about going with........I know they have the baritone VB but there is this one I can buy (regular Viper) that weighs a ton.............and I like very heavy guitars......the VB-400's I've tried are lighter..

I've owned a VB 400 for a few weeks, but didn't like it that much.

I always prefered the MHB 400, which also looked better IMO, and you don't 'feel' that you're playing a 27 " guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by MuCkO

I've owned a VB 400 for a few weeks, but didn't like it that much.

I always prefered the MHB 400, which also looked better IMO, and you don't 'feel' that you're playing a 27 " guitar.

Did your MHB-400 have some weight to it or was it feather light like the 400NT?

I had a MHB-200 for a while......loved the neck but hated the agathis tone.....

• Members

Those of you with ESP/ Sperzels, how do you get anything bigger than a .54/.56 through the tuning peg? I heve a lot of trouble getting them in. BTW I tune to drop C

In a perfect world I would like a .10-.56 DR set, anyone know it they make them?

Archived