Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here uses a 24 3/4 scale and severly detunes?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here uses a 24 3/4 scale and severly detunes?

Is it a flopfest with heavy strings?.....anyone who has a problem with detuning can **************** off.......disclaimer in advance there...
    Originally Posted by Light em Up

the internet is the place where fools teach fools..

I think it's too short... I had an LTD that I tuned to D and I couldn't deal with that! I'm not a 24.75 guy at all though, if you're used to that feel, it might work out for you.

Also, I had an Ibanez 7 string for a while, 25.5, I was feeling that it was also too short tuned to B. I would have prefered a 27" scale tuned to B.

If you have a light touch, you might be able to deal with it, otherwise I'd say the lower you tune, the longer you have to go to keep decent string tension. (guess that's obvious, heh)
    ENGL Savage 120
    Schecter Loomis 7NT
    Jackson WR1 GMG
    Jackson WR1 SW
    Marshall 1960AV/BV

Comment

I've had no problems with 12-54s in C# standard/drop B tuning. I have 10s on my 25.5 scale standard-tuned guitar, and the feel is roughly the same.

I suspect the 12s would hold up fine through B or so. I use an unwound .018 for my 3rd string rather than the stock .026 that comes with the set. The .026 is way too heavy for decent bending (1- 1 1/2 steps + vibrato) even tuned down. Were I tuned to B, I'd throw a wound .020 on there.

Beyond that, I'd be looking at some seriously massive strings. 13-56 at least, probably at least a 60 for the bottom string.
      Vox AC30/6 TBX -- Celestion Blues & Greenbacks -- Strats and Teles -- MSD Silver Machine/Pigtronix Mothership w/expression pedal/Fulltone OCD/Boss SD-1 w/Monte Allums GT mod/Boss HM-2/WMD Geiger Counter/Digitech Synth Wah/EXH Stereo Pulsar/Eventide Timefactor/EHX Cathedral

Good deals with: |||, coryaedwards, Voltaire, chris_d, The_Tourist, hvymtl939, ffemt596, GCDEF, pbone, Marc Duchesne, MetalHed (x2), Dark Angel, and various others.

http://www.republicofgarda.com

Comment

LTD EC1k user here
        I use everly X rockers (ti hink that's what they're called) 11-56 with an unwound g, perfect. I play in drop C btw
        References: cobrahead1030, jonny toetags, cloudnine, metalmonster069, plastic baby, DirtyChains, Evan666, gregovertone, SlidemanSloth, garfight, Megadeth7684, silverkw, JackBootedThug, Everlone, Kung-Fool...

Comment

Originally posted by KingKabong
          I think it's too short... I had an LTD that I tuned to D and I couldn't deal with that! I'm not a 24.75 guy at all though, if you're used to that feel, it might work out for you.

If you have a light touch, you might be able to deal with it, otherwise I'd say the lower you tune, the longer you have to go to keep decent string tension. (guess that's obvious, heh)

My EC1000 is my D/drop C guitar at the moment; I have 11-52s on there and no issues. What string gauge were you using? I don't have a light touch at all.
          Vox AC30/6 TBX -- Celestion Blues & Greenbacks -- Strats and Teles -- MSD Silver Machine/Pigtronix Mothership w/expression pedal/Fulltone OCD/Boss SD-1 w/Monte Allums GT mod/Boss HM-2/WMD Geiger Counter/Digitech Synth Wah/EXH Stereo Pulsar/Eventide Timefactor/EHX Cathedral

Good deals with: |||, coryaedwards, Voltaire, chris_d, The_Tourist, hvymtl939, ffemt596, GCDEF, pbone, Marc Duchesne, MetalHed (x2), Dark Angel, and various others.

http://www.republicofgarda.com

Comment

Flopfest like your grandma's titties?
            Good Transactions: JKD, theGhost, cobrahead1030, kage, Romanian Reaper, MidusGT, Dropthisd, Kank_39

Comment

Originally posted by shred-o-holic
              Is it a flopfest with heavy strings?.....anyone who has a problem with detuning can **************** off.......disclaimer in advance there...

12-52's in B-standard and it's perfect. This is how my Gibson V is setup. Man I could play in B with 10's on a Gibson scaled neck if I wanted to without having strings flop. I know how to control all of that.
              "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

!!GEAR!!

Crate GX130C
              Splawn 4x12 cab X-P V-30's & GT-75's
              MIJ Ibanez RG421 with EMG-81/60
              Charvel M1 with single EMG-81
              MIJ Jackson DK2M
              Gibson Gothic V with single EMG-81

Comment

I prefer as high a string tension as I can get without fatiguing my hands. I play rhythm in dropped C on a ESP Viper and right now I'm digging the Zakk Wylde GHS Boomers. I'm using the 60's of his, which are thin on the high strings and thick on the bottom strings. They are almost too thin on the top, like a set of 10's, but the lowest 3 strings are pretty thick. I know the low E and A strings are 60 and 52. This makes for some super tight strings and make it much easier for me to play thrashy metal at 190-210 bpm compared to the 13-56's I was playing. I wish the G B and e strings were a little thick to better match the E A and D strings, though. But, for a solo/shredder type, you may prefer the slinky feel of the high 3 strings...I'm not that kind of player, though.
                Nate Wright
                www.facebook.com/judgementband
                www.youtube.com/judgementband
                www.myspace.com/judgementband

EVH 5150 III
                EVH 5150 III mini
                Diezel rear loaded 4x12 (x2)
                ESP Vipers (x3)
                ESP/LTD Viper (x3)
                ESP/LTD TE-202
                ESP/LTD Eclipse
                1976 Les Paul Custom
                1995 Fender Std. Strat

Comment

ive got 11-54 on my PRS (25" scale, not quite a gibby, not quite a fender...) and while the string tension isnt a problem, tuning is!!! LOL its in B at the moment, and it just doesnt want to stay in tune very well at that tuning, but stays in tune fine in D Standard, dropped C, or Standard tunings.

but i played my buddy's Jackson (25.5" scale) in B with a floyd and it stayed perfectly in tune even after lots of abuse and whammy dives. so id be leaning towards a 25.5" scale...or maybe just something with some standard-style tuners, since the PRS ones dont have string wound around the post...i didnt think of htat, but thats probably why im having tuning problems with it...hmmm
                  LUCIAN SCOTT : THORNS AND LIES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD NOW!
                  http://www.myspace.com/lucianscott

http://www.soundclick.com/kisforkate

Gear :
                  ESP LTD Alexi Scythe
                  Jackson RR3
                  Music Man Sub 1
                  Jackson DX10 Dinky
                  Schecter Hellraiser FR
                  Pod XT Live
                  Peavey Rockmaster (Broken)
                  Peavey Classic 120
                  Sansamp PSA-1
                  Mesa Single Rectifier
                  Peavey Ultra Plus
                  Marshall JCM800 4x12
                  Laney AOR 4x12

Good Business With : Shreder75; Drucifer; Juggernaut; mc_carlini

Comment

Originally posted by crwnedblasphemy
                    Flopfest like your grandma's titties?

I wouldn't know.........are they?

Comment

I tune in Bb.......which is below what you guys are using I guess........I've had 25.5's tuned in B all day long......just wondering about you 24.75 users....

Comment

Well look at all those stoner rock and doom bands, so many of them are using Les Pauls or SGs and tuning waaay down. Seems to work just fine for them.

Comment

Originally posted by nick fury
                          Well look at all those stoner rock and doom bands, so many of them are using Les Pauls or SGs and tuning waaay down. Seems to work just fine for them.

I actually think you're right.........seems like a .60 or heavier bottom string set would do it....

Comment

I've played my epi les paul tuned to drop c with no problem.

Comment

Im ****************in off....

Comment

Working...
                              X