hughes & kettner warp x???

scooped-mids

• Members

LOL please dont crap yourself laughing but right now im playing my ibanez s540ltd through a 150 dollar behringer gmx110 combo...i can get a decent heavy sound as long as i dont turn it past 1. oh and i also use a dod 308 overdrive because the gain on the gmx sounds like complete ass. im looking at getting a new amp VERY SOON.

• Members

Originally posted by scooped-mids

LOL please dont crap yourself laughing but right now im playing my ibanez s540ltd through a 150 dollar behringer gmx110 combo...i can get a decent heavy sound as long as i dont turn it past 1. oh and i also use a dod 308 overdrive because the gain on the gmx sounds like complete ass. im looking at getting a new amp VERY SOON.

So what else are you looking at? What kind of metal sound are you going for? A lot of people seem to think the H&K stuff is over priced.

• Members

im looking at a 60 watt crate blue voodoo or perhaps peavey ultra right now. id like a nice clean and pretty decent heavy distortion and then i'll color it with some delay and wah as well as my trusty dod 308 overdrive.

i had a blue voodoo, and i would go with the peavey over it.

• Members

im looking at a 60 watt crate blue voodoo or perhaps peavey ultra right now. id like a nice clean and pretty decent heavy distortion and then i'll color it with some delay and wah as well as my trusty dod 308 overdrive.

I hate to pimp the {censored}e that I use, but I will anyway. If you are looking for a good two channel head at a good price then check out the Boogie Single Recto. You can pick up a used one for less than $1,000 and they are well worth it. Solid construction and what I consider to be the best tone of all the Recto amps. Match it up with a good quality 2x12 or 4x12 cab and you`ll have a killer set up.

I`ve never played through a Warp X, but I think there is a good reason why you don`t ever hear anything about them. If it was a good amp it would have been hyped all over this board by now and it hasn`t been. These guys go through a lot of amps and I havn`t seen one come through here yet.

Eric

P.S.- If you are interested in a good three channel head then you could pick up a used Peavey JSX. They are pretty darn good too.

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

These guys go through a lot of amps and I havn`t seen one come through here yet.

thats not true. i remember when everybody on this board was saying that splawns were only good for 80's metal.

and there was a time when the general concensus was that peavey XXX's were some of the worst amps made.

the more probable reasons why we dont here about much H&K products is their price and their availability.

the few people who have played them/ own them seem to love the products.

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

thats not true. i remember when everybody on this board was saying that splawns were only good for 80's metal.

and there was a time when the general concensus was that peavey XXX's were some of the worst amps made.

the more probable reasons why we dont here about much H&K products is their price and their availability.

the few people who have played them/ own them seem to love the products.

No I don`t mean H&K amps in general. I was specifically talking about the Warp X. Which I believe is pretty reasonably priced brand new.

Eric

• Members

My bud uses that with his band and had it in my basement for a while. I hadnt had that much fun with an amp in a long time.

Its an awesome amp. It has its own signature voice and there is not one amp out there i can say it sounds like.

I had planned to buy it but once i saved up the money, gas guilt set in and I pulled back from the order form.

I still cant decide between it and an engl fireball or VHT amp.

Paul Crook uses one. Clips on his media page:

http://metalloaf.com/main.htm

• Members

I've played one numerous times and I dig it. Really compressed, though. I wonder if that would get old. I think they are 1500-1700 new, though, which I think is steep. I've seen them used for around a grand.

If I had the spare cash, I'd get one.

To me, they are reminiscent of a Krank Revolution. Not exactly the same tones, but in the ballpark.

• Members

I had one for a few months and didn't like it all.
Great clean tones, but i didn't dig the high gain tones.
I had the Warp- T half stack (it's the same as the Warp X, but it come with a cab).
I switched cabs, using a Diezel (v30) and a Marshall 1960 cab.
It sounded a bit better with the diezel cab and a EQ in the loop, but I sold it and got me a 5150 that smoked the H&K imo.
The only H&K i've ever played and liked was the Triamp II.
So you can seen tone is subjective...

Archived