WOT: To those of you with anxiety/panic disorders...

iplayloudly

• Members

For the past year I've been struggeling with a panic disorder... panic attacks at random times for no reason whatsoever. I also had frequent heart palpitations. A couple of months after it started, my doctor put me on zoloft and it helped quite a bit but i still had a lot more anxiety problems than I should have, and still had palpitations occasionally.

Well a couple weeks ago I was surfing the net and came across an article about fish oil supplements, and how they've recently been proven to help anxiety problems, and heart problems, including palpitations. So I thought I'd give it a shot. I started taking fish oil supplements (1000mg, 2-3 times a day) and I feel a LOT better than I have in months. My anxiety level is much lower now, and the palpitations have decreased significantly.

The reason I'm posting this is because I know a lot of people on here have suffered from similar problems and there have been numerous posts about it. Sorry if this is old news, but I had never heard anything about fish oil until recently.

:o

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hi bro, i had the same problems (anxiety, heart palpitations). the best advice i can give you for getting rid of them is : exercise cardiovascularly, stop drinking caffeine, dont smoke (pot especially) and eat less greasy food. those all seem to contribute to palpitations. what do your palpitations feel like? I can feel a kind of tightening in the bottom of my throat, and a little flutter in my chest, no pain though. I used to get palps all the time, but they are pretty minimal now thank God. Mine were brought on when i was taking diet pills containing ephedra.

• Members

+1

for some reason, the pot makes me anxiety-ridden now. Never used to be that way, but maybe as you get older it affects you differently.

Now when I smoke a doob, I end up hiding under the bed with my Ka-Bar knife......waiting... :freak:

• Members

{censored} pot does the exact opposite for me. I have hypertension due to several things that have happened in the past few years and usually when I smoke a doob it takes all of my worries away for a while. It does speed up the heart a little right after you smoke but that just happens, no biggie.

I used to think I was having a heart attack on several occasions. I would be driving down the road and feel my heart speeding up, my breathing would get crazy and I would feel pain in my left arm. After several checkups I found out that nothing is wrong with my heart and I was merely having anxiety attacks. It's crazy how much an anxiety attack can make you feel like you are having a heart attack.

• Members
what do your palpitations feel like? I can feel a kind of tightening in the bottom of my throat, and a little flutter in my chest, no pain though.

What do heart palpatations feel like??

Reading is your friend. :D

• Members

weed used to chill me out, but one day i snapped and now they induce a panic attack, big time.....of course, i am always on the verge of them anyway. i found that lack of sleep REALLY kicks them in. couple that with my bad acid reflux (which also feels like a heart attack) and blah....lots of bad panic blah. i was on paxil but that turned me into a vegetable (except during sleep, where i would have intense nightmares...sometimes about kannibulism)......

:freak:

• Members
Originally posted by iplayloudly

For the past year I've been struggeling with a panic disorder... panic attacks at random times for no reason whatsoever. I also had frequent heart palpitations. A couple of months after it started, my doctor put me on zoloft and it helped quite a bit but i still had a lot more anxiety problems than I should have, and still had palpitations occasionally.

Well a couple weeks ago I was surfing the net and came across an article about fish oil supplements, and how they've recently been proven to help anxiety problems, and heart problems, including palpitations. So I thought I'd give it a shot. I started taking fish oil supplements (1000mg, 2-3 times a day) and I feel a LOT better than I have in months. My anxiety level is much lower now, and the palpitations have decreased significantly.

The reason I'm posting this is because I know a lot of people on here have suffered from similar problems and there have been numerous posts about it. Sorry if this is old news, but I had never heard anything about fish oil until recently.

word!

thanks mang, i gotta try fish oil out.

• Members

Yeah...I've heard the same about Paxil.....makes you a zombie most of the day....no ups or downs....just kinda "meh". And the dreams....intense.....most of those anti-anxiety drugs do that. Buspar is a clean one out there....light enough to do the trick.

I never was an anxious person....life sometimes catches up with you, and changes that. :(

• Members
Originally posted by iplayloudly

I just started on them the other day!! Weird how this stuff just pops up.

• Members

Originally posted by Chrisjd

hi bro, i had the same problems (anxiety, heart palpitations). the best advice i can give you for getting rid of them is : exercise cardiovascularly, stop drinking caffeine, dont smoke (pot especially) and eat less greasy food.

...worked for me also.

Good luck.

• Members

I've been dealing with anxiety/panic for probably 7 years now. Started thinking I was having heart problems, etc..... Had all tests done, all negative. I was still convinced something was wrong with me. Everytime I felt any abnormal sensation in my head, chest, wherever I'd panic. I know it sounds stupid. Odds are you probably in good physical health, though that's sometimes not easy to believe if you're suffering some physical symptoms.

Anyway, I took Zoloft for a while. It worked ok but the sexual side affects and even more annoying the withdrawal symptoms after getting off it (dizzying head pulsations) would keep me from ever taking it again. I still take Xanex on an as needed babsis and by no means am I over my anxiety, however it's under more control than ever. I've come to grips that the my experiences over the last few years have had a permanent impact. Anxiety is an evolving issue with me, meaning that things that set me off are always changing (long lines, passing semi's, etc, heights, etc...). These are all things that I use to not fear.

My main peace of advise is to keep your mind busy as much as possible. He who suffers anxiety/panic are their own worst enemy. This is why fish oil, Xanex, Zoloft, or any placebo for that matter work. The important part is that you need to believe whatever it is you take or use to combat your issue will work. You're not alone, good luck.

• Members

In addition to Zoloft, you find that you'll need something like Valium or Xanax. If taken properly, under a doctor's supervision you should have relief. Becareful as, I am sure you know, both of those are potentially habit forming.

Also, you might also consider a different anti-depressant. Not all SSRI's are the same. If Zoloft doesn't do it for you, you might also try: Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor or even some older tricyclic anti-depresants.

good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Firegoat

I've been dealing with anxiety/panic for probably 7 years now. Started thinking I was having heart problems, etc..... Had all tests done, all negative. I was still convinced something was wrong with me. Everytime I felt any abnormal sensation in my head, chest, wherever I'd panic. I know it sounds stupid. Odds are you probably in good physical health, though that's sometimes not easy to believe if you're suffering some physical symptoms.

Anyway, I took Zoloft for a while. It worked ok but the sexual side affects and even more annoying the withdrawal symptoms after getting off it (dizzying head pulsations) would keep me from ever taking it again. I still take Xanex on an as needed babsis and by no means am I over my anxiety, however it's under more control than ever. I've come to grips that the my experiences over the last few years have had a permanent impact. Anxiety is an evolving issue with me, meaning that things that set me off are always changing (long lines, passing semi's, etc, heights, etc...). These are all things that I use to not fear.

My main peace of advise is to keep your mind busy as much as possible. He who suffers anxiety/panic are their own worst enemy. This is why fish oil, Xanex, Zoloft, or any placebo for that matter work. The important part is that you need to believe whatever it is you take or use to combat your issue will work. You're not alone, good luck.

Good advice yea. Anytime i felt an abnormal sensation in my head or chest i would freak out, think something bad was gonna happen.

• Members

Yeah I hope no one here mistook this to mean that fish oil could cure anxiety on its own.

In my situation, when I'm NOT on zoloft, I have terrible panic attacks. Between the attacks though, I feel fine. When I AM on zoloft, the panic attacks don't happen at all, but my anxiety rises a little and stays that way almost constantly.

But now that I take the fish oil too, that anxiety has dropped significantly.

Archived