Has anybody here tried out the Celestion Seventy 80 speakers?

Humbucker

• Members

Has anybody here tried out the Celestion Seventy 80 speakers?

I was at my local music store today sort of looking into buying some 12" speakers for an empty speaker cab that I have kicking around the house.

I told the salesman that I was looking at getting something pretty decent but I didn't want to spend a pile of money, so he showed me these Celestion Seventy 80 (G12P-80) 12" speakers and sure enough, they were VERY affordable.

Question is though, are these speakers pretty decent? Have any of you out there had any experience with these cheapy speakers and are they worth it?

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

These are average speakers at best, and I dont particularly like them. Lots of companies used them, most likely to keep cost down. I would look for something better, like slightly higher priced Eminence:)

I guess they are used just to say they have Celestion speakers then?

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I guess they are used just to say they have Celestion speakers then?

Pretty much, I cringe when I read "celestion loaded", because its usualy these or their other lower priced ones.

Heres the problem I found with the ones I had.

Bass response? Forget about it, its muddy, and it also farts out. Highs? Not if you want them clear, defined and not shrill. Mids? Not particularly good. Poor headroom, poor definition. I switched them out as quick as I could. :)

Best speakers for the money are Weber VST high power or brit series. Those are from $100-$180 though so I guess that rules them out. You could do much better with some Eminence or Jenses for around $65.

• Members

For about 40% more, I can get those Eminence Legend GB12 speakers. I'm pretty sure that those would be a better quality speaker, how much better, I don't know.

Maybe I'll go with the Eminence Legend GB12 speakers instead of the cheapy Celestions or some other Eminence speaker. Would that be a wise move?

• Members

Hey Humbucker.

I have a Carvin SC412T cabinet with the Celestion Seventy 80's in them.

They sound great to me, a pretty well balanced speaker, that let's anything I run through it come out sounding good. I like them better than the G12T-75's that I had in a Marshall cab that I used to have.

I wouldn't think twice about picking them up, especially for the price's that they go for.

• Members

My AD50VT came with a 70/80 in it, it sounds good for the money, but you can do a LOT better.

Start with a Weber Blue Dog.

Or for between $50-$80 each you can get some Eminence Legends that will blow that 70/80 outa the room.

Or for $90 bucks try the Weber Michigan High Power speaker, 100 watt, 60 oz magnet, 2.5 inch vc, that things kicks beutt!

I replaced the 70/80 with a Weber Silver Bell and never looked back. The "good" celestions are more expensive. The amp makers use the budget Celestions to get the name without hiking the price point.

• Members

Originally posted by Humbucker

Anybody use these?

They are good speakers for the price. Line 6 is putting them in their combo's now, Randall has been putting them in cabs for years now, and I believe that a few other companies have started using them the last few years.

It doesn't have the huge bottom end of some other speakers out there, but it's very tight, very balanced, and blends well with other speakers. Check my sig for which cabs I have them in.

If money is no option, there are better speakers, but for the $50 they sell for, I am yet to find a better speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by soundchaser59

Or for between $50-$80 each you can get some Eminence Legends that will blow that 70/80 outa the room.

I am going to politely disagree with you on this one, although there are a number of speakers in the Legend line and I don't know which one you are speaking of.

I have a lot of experience with the 70/80's and a few of the Eminence Legends, and I wouldn't say either one is better than the other. The Eminence Legends have been surpassed by the Eminence Red Coat and Patriot series speakers, most of which still sell in the same price range as the 70/80's, so even if you wanted to stick with Eminence speakers, the Legend series might not be the best way to go.

If I had to choose between the 70/80's and any of the Eminence Legend line, it would be the 70/80. I have a cab with both 70/80's and Legend V12's, and it's a great mix because you get the thick mids and crisp highs of the 70/80, along with the huge low end of the Legend V12's. I never found any of the Legend series to be good stand alone speakers. They all lack in one or more areas and need to be combined with something that complements them to sound truly top shelf.

• Members

Originally posted by Hulston Prickle

In an open back combo 70/80s totally fart out at anything over bedroom levels. According to Laney, Tony Iommi uses these in his 4x12s, which I find hard to believe. Maybe they work better in a closed back 4x12, as some forumites noted.

Yeah, that was my problem with them, they fart out, and I guess they arent horrible.... but theres so much better out there, that I dont see a reason to stay with them.

Its like generic stock pickups in your guitar, most really arent THAT bad... but if you can go with something better, then why not?

• Members

Originally posted by MetalHed

I am going to politely disagree with you on this one......

I have a lot of experience with the 70/80's and a few of the Eminence Legends, and I wouldn't say either one is better than the other. The Eminence Legends have been surpassed by the Eminence Red Coat and Patriot series speakers.......

If I had to choose between the 70/80's and any of the Eminence Legend line, it would be the 70/80.

I was referring to the Legend 125, and I have a cab with 105's (10 inch) in it now. I know what you mean about having to combine them to get a truly full sound. In fact, the Eminence web pages recommend the same thing, combine and mix and match to taste. I know they are trying to sell speakers, but at least they tell you up front that not every driver will give you a "complete" sound. I've been very pleased with the speakers I've installed from them. But I think I've gotten slightly lucky, though. I think I just got lucky matching the speakers to the amps. The recommends I got from Eminence helped and were generally pretty accurate.

But with that being said, it must be noted that the amp makes a lot of difference also. I replaced the 70/80 in my Vox with a Weber and I am much happier, but the Vox is a 50 watt combo. Connect the 70/80 to a 15 watt tube amp and it performs much better. It isn't bad, it just isn't usually as good as the amp it comes in.

For example, I can dial up a very inspiring tone on my Vox with the 70/80 speaker, and I think it sounds pretty good. But then all I do is plug in the 2x10 cab with the Eminence 105's in it, and the sound just jumps out at me, that's the sound I was looking for, and all of a sudden that 70/80 sounds unimpressive in a direct side-by-side listen. Same amp, same settings, different speaker, different level of satisfaction.

I am developing a theory, slowly but surely, that I dont really like speaker "breakup" so I'm starting to use a personal rule of thumb......always use speakers rated at least 2 or 3 times the wattage of the amp. By far the best speakers I've ever heard with my 15 watt tube amp are the 75 watt Legend 105's, in a 2x10 cab. But the sound changes dramatically as soon as I plug a different amp into that same cab. Just the bit of experimenting I've done, I've decided to sell my 70/80

A guy should probably try to audition a speaker with the amp the speaker will be connected to.

Archived