-

Aineias

• Members

Damn!

If that thing was bubble wrapped and double boxed with appropriate packing, they must have dropped it from a pretty significant height!

I am very sorry to see that mang.

Boogies are pretty damn tough, so I am betting a new headshell and tubes should fix it right up.

Did you take pics when opening it? Have you started a claims process?

Regarding tubes, SED's work very well in Mark series amps if you do not want to buy Boogie branded (I believe the higher end Boogie tubes are re labled SED's, but could be wrong). As far as preamp tubes, my personal preference is:

Tung Sol re issue 12ax7 in v1

JJ ecc83s in v2 and v3

Chinese 8th generation in v4 and v5

Good luck with everything Aineias:thu:

• Members

How good are you when it comes to working with wood? Given that there isn't TOO much damage, fixing up the headshell shouldn't be too much of a problem with some screws, glue and possibly even biscuits if you have a biscuit cutter. If not, do you have a local woodworking shop around? Maybe they could help fix it for you. It's {censored}ing bull{censored} what happened though. That's insane how it broke like that, especially considering the packing. Good luck with everything.

• Members

woah dude what the hell happened??!?

i thought you said it arrived safely? :confused:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

what happened?

The tubes were brand new SED's too (infact the whole thing was re-tubed with dougs tubes)

**EDIT**

man did they {censored}ing drop that thing off a building?

ugh.. i can't believe it, i was so happy when you told me it got to you safely, especially since I had boxed/wrapped that boogie to no end.

• Members

Originally posted by Aineias

Then explain the paperwork and Mike B's initials on the back.

Of course it won't sound the same. All the mod does it to replace some of the components and revoice it a little. I read somewhere that it's quoted as being "not as 3D sounding", primarily because of the different output transformer or something (I hope I've got the part right - it was some sort of transformer at least and I beleive there are two).

However, if Danyeo and Gainfreak reckon that you can get pretty close with an unmodded Blue stripe (as mine was) then this ought to be good enough that most can't tell the difference.

Besides - if it sounds how I want it to sound then who cares if it's a III, a IV, a IIC+ or whatever. This seemed like a good place to start looking for great tone and, at the price I got it for, it was a good idea to buy. At worst, if it's not for me the rarity of these amps in the UK ought to recoup me nearly all of the money I spent on getting it here.

If only the damn couriers hadn't broken it.

So provided that I have the reverb tank and the fan (and both are in working order), is there any reason I need an official Boogie head shell rather than having a carpenter build me something similar from the wood of my choice?

I'm asking because if Boogie have to send something from the US, I'll be getting screwed on import duty once more, whereas having something built in this country might save me money and give me some opportunity to get a nice hardwood case or something.

You can use any type of headshell you want. I would personally find a carpenter fix the headshell you already have as it would most likely be cheaper.

• Members

WTF! My old amp, oh the horrors! Man that sux, I really feel for you. It sux that the headshell was damaged but also I hope you get this straightened out. Indeed you could probably have someone fix it up but I'd definitely try to go the insurance route or whatever and make them pay for being careless. Hopefully nothing in the chassis was damaged. However, I think Mesas are overbuilt and tough enough that I'd tend to think it would be okay but you never know with idiot shippers like this. Get some new tubes and fire the thing up!

As far as the C+ mod is concerned, not fiction. Call Mike B yourself and talk to him about it. He told me he makes the Mark III pretty much identical to the Mark IIC+ on paper, circuit and component-wise but it won't be exactly the same due to the different transformers. Besides, the Mark III is a good sounding amp anyways so this mod is just a little something extra. Check the Boogie Board and you'll see that many people have had the mod done.

• Members

I have a friend that works in a UPS depot, he told me that alot of the people that work there purposely throw around packages marked as fragile... especially if they weigh over 20 pounds.... So never mark something fragile if it's flying ups, and if you wanna make sure things aren't gonna go screwy have the UPS store pack it. Then your liable for NOTHING!!!!

• 2 weeks later...