what does it mean to play behind the beat?

davis1

• Members

Playing behind, ahead of or right on the beat can all sound good in different situations. They don't imply that your tempo fluxuates necessarily, just that you play your instrument slightly after the rest of the band (behind) or slightly before (ahead).

It's basically a vibe thing that ensures that you don't sound like a programmed midi track.

• Members

Some styles of music benefit if certain instruments play "behind the beat". Blues and some Rock like the Stones do this a lot.

Lots of Stevie Ray Vaughns stuff he plays with the timing sometimes behind the beat sometimes in front of it. That is to say slightly late or a bit early.

This kind of thing won't work on most if not all metal tunes where you have to be right on to make the groove work.

I'm not suggesting that if you play behind that you are doing somethinhg wrong it just lends a different feel to the music. I makes it breathe.

A real good example is SRV's Life by the drop which he does on a 12 string acoustic. He does not keep perfecdt time but kind of slows down some times playing behind the beat.

The reference to John Bonham I can kindof agree with. He often has this feel where you almost anticipate the beat and he holds back a bit. A lazy feel with great results.

The beginning to D'yer Maker is a good example. He hits the first set of beats and then is just a tad late with the second group.

Best rock drummer IMO.

• Members

It's a feel, groove, attitude kind of thing.

I'm a drummer first, so I've done a lot of practicing with playing on, in front of, and behind the beat.

Playing behind the beat, you'd play like you normally do, but take a bit of time to get to the note. Instead of nailing the tempo dead on, you hit it, but just after the beat drops.

It's not really a conscious thing. Loosen up your arm and shoulder and snap your wrist to hit the notes, but don't quite have so much control that you are ultra precise.

"Life by the drop" is a great example of playing behind the beat. "When the levee breaks" is a great example on the drums, where the whole track realliy breathes.

It seems to work better on slower tempos. Instead of dragging, you kind of feel like you're rolling. Laid back.

• Members
Originally posted by Jarick

It's a feel, groove, attitude kind of thing.

I'm a drummer first, so I've done a lot of practicing with playing on, in front of, and behind the beat.

Playing behind the beat, you'd play like you normally do, but take a bit of time to get to the note. Instead of nailing the tempo dead on, you hit it, but just after the beat drops.

It's not really a conscious thing. Loosen up your arm and shoulder and snap your wrist to hit the notes, but don't quite have so much control that you are ultra precise.

"Life by the drop" is a great example of playing behind the beat. "When the levee breaks" is a great example on the drums, where the whole track realliy breathes.

It seems to work better on slower tempos. Instead of dragging, you kind of feel like you're rolling. Laid back.

I hate music that is totally stiff. I like to have a little room to float around within the beat.

Archived