Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does it mean to play behind the beat?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does it mean to play behind the beat?

??

John Bohnam.

CC
    Go eXtreme: www.fractalaudio.com

Ignore List:
    Ricky Bobby
    guitarbilly74
    lenster

=add your name here=

Comment

It means you're dragging, damn it! Pick up the tempo!
      "Afterwards I wiped my tail with a hen, with a cock, with a pullet, with a calf's skin, with a hare, with a pigeon, with a cormorant, with an attorney's bag, with a montero, with a coif, with a falconer's lure. But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains."
      (from Gargantua, 1534)
      Originally posted by EVH_Sound:
      "...the purpose of iso booths in the studio is to allow seperate editing of the tracks in question without having to worry about matching up you edits between parts of the song with the same harmony. But you already knew that."

Comment

Originally posted by CliffC8488
        John Bohnam.

CC
        I couldn't disagree more.
        "Afterwards I wiped my tail with a hen, with a cock, with a pullet, with a calf's skin, with a hare, with a pigeon, with a cormorant, with an attorney's bag, with a montero, with a coif, with a falconer's lure. But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains."
        (from Gargantua, 1534)
        Originally posted by EVH_Sound:
        "...the purpose of iso booths in the studio is to allow seperate editing of the tracks in question without having to worry about matching up you edits between parts of the song with the same harmony. But you already knew that."

Comment

Originally posted by CliffC8488
          John Bohnam.

CC

Absolutely not
          My Current Gear:

Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
          Takamine EG334SC A/E Cutaway
          Marshall DSL 100
          Peavey Ultra 120+
          ISP Decimator
          Bad Horsie 2
          Vox Tonelab LE

Comment

Originally posted by LedZep77

Absolutely not

I think its a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bopper

I think its a compliment.

oh...
              My Current Gear:

Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
              Takamine EG334SC A/E Cutaway
              Marshall DSL 100
              Peavey Ultra 120+
              ISP Decimator
              Bad Horsie 2
              Vox Tonelab LE

Comment

Yes, compliment.

CC
                Go eXtreme: www.fractalaudio.com

Ignore List:
                Ricky Bobby
                guitarbilly74
                lenster

=add your name here=

Comment

Playing behind, ahead of or right on the beat can all sound good in different situations. They don't imply that your tempo fluxuates necessarily, just that you play your instrument slightly after the rest of the band (behind) or slightly before (ahead).

It's basically a vibe thing that ensures that you don't sound like a programmed midi track.
                  The Signal Studio on MySpace

Download The Shapes's EP + 4 singles, FREE (I play drums in this band)
                  Download Fist Of God's EP, FREE (I play guitar in this band)

Comment

Some styles of music benefit if certain instruments play "behind the beat". Blues and some Rock like the Stones do this a lot.

Lots of Stevie Ray Vaughns stuff he plays with the timing sometimes behind the beat sometimes in front of it. That is to say slightly late or a bit early.
                    This kind of thing won't work on most if not all metal tunes where you have to be right on to make the groove work.

I'm not suggesting that if you play behind that you are doing somethinhg wrong it just lends a different feel to the music. I makes it breathe.

A real good example is SRV's Life by the drop which he does on a 12 string acoustic. He does not keep perfecdt time but kind of slows down some times playing behind the beat.

The reference to John Bonham I can kindof agree with. He often has this feel where you almost anticipate the beat and he holds back a bit. A lazy feel with great results.
                    The beginning to D'yer Maker is a good example. He hits the first set of beats and then is just a tad late with the second group.
                    Best rock drummer IMO.

Comment

Playing behind the beat means just that...playing behind the beat.
                      Just because it ends in "s", it doesn't mean that you have to use a ****************ing apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded_1
                        Playing behind the beat means just that...playing behind the beat.

+1 like stand behind the drummer duh!!! Cheers Lucius

PS> I am sorry and won't type for 5 mins.
                        Good transactions with: Brewski, gtpfbod, Xenoanthropus, wassupg,NickCormier, Ben J , Skyhighrocks, JonathanD, gooman, UVguy, Rho, Erocku, warplanegrey, exilea, Jerryp, Mogwai, thefyn, guitarslinger, Mr Scary, madrigal77,Dark Aegis, a few others that have slipped my mind.

FS: Mesa Dual Rec - SOLD! To the man with the big green shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by davis1
                          ??
                          It means the beat is a little in front of your playing. Isn't it pretty self-explanatory?
                          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                          -For Sale:
                          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Its more of a style or feeling rather than literally playing noticeably behind, playing "laid back" is a better term. Any sort of swung music is typically "behind the beat".

Comment

It's a feel, groove, attitude kind of thing.

I'm a drummer first, so I've done a lot of practicing with playing on, in front of, and behind the beat.

Playing behind the beat, you'd play like you normally do, but take a bit of time to get to the note. Instead of nailing the tempo dead on, you hit it, but just after the beat drops.

It's not really a conscious thing. Loosen up your arm and shoulder and snap your wrist to hit the notes, but don't quite have so much control that you are ultra precise.

"Life by the drop" is a great example of playing behind the beat. "When the levee breaks" is a great example on the drums, where the whole track realliy breathes.

It seems to work better on slower tempos. Instead of dragging, you kind of feel like you're rolling. Laid back.
                              Guitar Rig: Musicman Silhouette -> Cool Cat Transparent OD -> Fender Mustang I (Twin model)
                              Drum Rig: Mapex Pro M's, Saluda Mists, Evans heads

Comment

Working...
                              X