SCORED!! Fender Bassman 50 Head!

pinkvoid

• Members

Thanks, i feel good about owning a Vintage fender. It almost completes my production amp set of Marshall JCM800, Mesa Mark III, Peavey Classic 30 and now the Fender.

I was looking inside the diagram to find the circuitry but couldn't find it, only saw the patent numbers. Anyone knows where to find it? Also, how do i know the exact year of mine?

• Members

Originally posted by PompeTron_9000

Is there something wrong with it that it only cost $150? It looks great and if it has no internal issues that could be one of the greatest deals I've ever heard of. I have been lusting over such an amp. Great score.

Local adds my friend, you won't believe the things you can find there. This guy was selling his gear to rent an RV and roadtrip across the country with his GF. I'm not even sure he knew what it was, he called it a Fender bassman "power amp".

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

According to the field amp guid it was made between 1972-1976.

Don't forget to check those filter caps out.

Very nice score for a great price.

How do i know if the caps need replacement? the amp sounds good...

• Members

Originally posted by pinkvoid

How do i know if the caps need replacement? the amp sounds good...

There is a tray on the bottom side where the tubes hand that houses the the caps, it takes a few screws to remove it.

Take it off, if you see the caps leaking its time for a cap job. If not, then you are probably fine.

It has a 3 prong power cord, so it may have been gone through by a tech at some point.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

There is a tray on the bottom side where the tubes hand that houses the the caps, it takes a few screws to remove it.

Take it off, if you see the caps leaking its time for a cap job. If not, then you are probably fine.

It has a 3 prong power cord, so it may have been gone through by a tech at some point.

Thank you for the very informative info!

• Members

Definitely change the filter caps, they are way past due if they haven't been changed (10 year service life is the norm for electrolytics), and even if they have been changed, they could have enough age on them to be needed service again.

After I re-capped my '66 Bandmaster, it was a completely different amp. Cleaner, clearer, faster, tighter, with extended frequency response and better/less harsh OD as the volume got bumped up higher.

Much, MUCH better amp after the re-cap, from all aspects.

• Members

Originally posted by marder explorer

Definitely change the filter caps, they are way past due if they haven't been changed (10 year service life is the norm for electrolytics), and even if they have been changed, they could have enough age on them to be needed service again.

After I re-capped my '66 Bandmaster, it was a completely different amp. Cleaner, clearer, faster, tighter, with extended frequency response and better/less harsh OD as the volume got bumped up higher.

Much, MUCH better amp after the re-cap, from all aspects.

how much did the recaping job cost?

Archived