Hey look, an honest to goodness on-topic thread: rockman sustainor 100 vs. 200

tommythelurker

• Members

Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference between the two models? Is the 200 better as the "newer" model or does it lose "mojo" (uh oh :eek: ) that the 100 has. What about the 100A? I hear it has more collector value because they only made a few but don't really care about that, care about TONE!

And if anyone wants to give me an idea what one should go for in good condition that would be cool too :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

there's a site that gives pros and cons of each.

as I am googling it, it shows up in the search engine, but the site is down.

that's a shame if it's gone. It was truly the best source of rockman info.

Ya, I googled it last week and think I saw the same site but had the same problem. Doesn't seem to be much info out there which is why I posted here.

• Members

Originally posted by tommythelurker

Ya, I googled it last week and think I saw the same site but had the same problem. Doesn't seem to be much info out there which is why I posted here.

that site literally had all the info you could imagine. They would tell you which serial number range had the best tone. They had that much info for every rock module, power amp, rack, cab, etc. EVERYTHING

• Members

Do a search, then hit 'cached' in google, it will give you the archived version. may not be as pretty, but should have all the info.

Going from memory...

The 100s aren't as regarded for tone as much as the 200s, and I think they made the 'auto clean' actually work on the 200 models. If you don't need the extra modes, sometimes it's easier to just find the distortion generator. I posted clips of mine on here a few times - do a search for rockman, it's the same tone as the sustainors, just not as many frills.

Pete

• Members

guitarslinger, it was RockmanCentral.com right? Google doesn't seem to have it cashed :(

Pete, I think you offered to sell me your distortion generator in another thread, actually your clip is what got my gas started for this thing again :) If I knew more about the differences I might consider it but as it stands I think I might like the extra features of the sustainor.

• Members

Originally posted by tommythelurker

Yes, that old site was RockmanCentral.com and it went down last year. Go to this site if you want any info on the modules. I used to have the Sustainor model 100 and the model 200 is better by far, better compression. I have the model 200 with the double IC chip that is the best of them all. Read about them here:

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/

• Members

Or, here you go:

The first Sustainor was the Model 100, which, for it's time, sounded absolutely awesome. Most Sustainors have the model number printed on the rear panel, along with the date of birth, and serial number.

From a layman's point of view, the 100 is a dirtier sounding unit, the distortion being more grainy/gritty, with a lesser degree of compression. The Clean modes sound a bit thinner than later models.

The Model 100a was next in line, probably having slight improvements in s/n ratio, etc. Model 100 and 100a sound very similar in their characteristics.

A notable difference in tone came with the Model 200, with it's much smoother and refined filters and compression characteristics. The Model 200 Cleans are rounder in sound...more natural, especially noticeable in the Clean 2 mode.

Late Model 200 Sustainors contained the addition of the Lead Leveler circuit, a circuit that was also found in the programmable XPR/XP preamps. This circuit was designed with the most demanding players in mind, i.e. players that did a lot of finger tapping, hammer-ons, fast staccato scales, etc. The lead leveler kept these quick runs from turning into mush.

The key point here is this:

All Sustainors sound good, but not all of them sound great. I use one Model 100a, umpteen Model 200's, and 6 late Model 200 Lead Leveler units. What I have found is that no matter what Sustainor you own, a loop EQ is absolutely necessary to bring out it's good points. This being said, I can make a 100 sound as good as a 200. The only reason I favor the 200's is that I prefer smoother compression over more distortion. This, and the fact that the late Model 200's are highly collectible is what made me switch. But, for someone on a budget who isn't a big collector, a Model 100/100a may be just what you need.

Don't get too caught up in the late model Sustainors if you aren't a serious lead player. The difference between the 200 and the Lead Leveler 200 is subtle. If you are like me and grew up playing in the 80's, chances are you will notice the difference. If you are into thrash, grunge, hippity hoppity, thrash metal, hip-hop thrash, thrash-grunge, funkadelic-thrash or thrash-thrash, metal-metal, or be-bop thrash...you won't hear the difference. In this case, just go with a Model 100, throw it on the ground a couple of times to loosen some of the components, and you should get a record deal.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

This is an ancient thread, but I don't see the point in starting a new.

My favorite Sustainor for distortion is the original model 100. It has the most amp-like tone out of all the Sustainor offerings. If you're looking for Marshall distortion in a solid-state box, the model 100 delivers.

Model 100 - Best Distortion mode.

Model 200 - Best Edge mode.

Model 100 - Nails the hard compressed "Amanda" clean sound.

Model 200 - Slightly rounder cleans.

The Distortion Generator module is based on the model 200 Edge mode. I would describe this module as a "mod on-the-fly" Edge mode. This is one of the best gain tones I've ever heard. If you get one, try to get a late model (large board) DG with "Lead Leveler" circuitry. I had one of the early models, but I just couldn't get an acceptable sound out of it. The revised version is the one you want.

The double IC version of the model 200 is an excellent addition to the line. If you're not a power player, you may not notice much of a difference. The most complete Rockman rig should contain: 1 x model 100 + 1 x model (single IC) 200 + 1 x late model Distortion Generator. If this is too much, 1 x model 100 + 1 x (double IC) 200 will suffice.

Other modules:

Equalizer - The EQ is for fine-tuning your sound, but it is not crucial. If you dig the stock voicing, don't bother with the EQ. Using the EQ in the pre-distortion position (Sustainor) may or may not be your thing. Personally, I don't see the point in placing an EQ before the preamp stage... Experiment.

Compressor - Not needed if you're using a Sustainor or Distortion Generator.

Chorus - Excellent chorus. Not quite as good as the Chorus/Delay module, but it's still an incredible sounding chorus.

Stereo Echo - Brilliantly simulates Roland dual-head tape echo. Best analog echo there is - period.

Chorus/Delay - Stunning! The C/D module uses a Panasonic MN3005 chip for both chorus and delay. Its chorus is as milky and smooth as any Boss CE-1 or RE-301. Delay is mono. Nice for reverb and/or slap-back. Chorus and delay cannot be combined, as the 1 x MN3005 chip handles duties for both effects. 2 x MN3005 chips would have been nice.

Do not forget to use a TS9/TS808 pedal in-front of your Rockman rig, as this is your ticket to some of the greatest 80's metal tones ever recorded.

Here is George Lynch using an Ibanez TS9 pedal - ABY pedal - 2 x Rockman X100's - 2 x Marshall 100 watt JCM800 effects returns.

[video=youtube;rCn80HADpto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCn80HADpto

Archived