WANTED: Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

Shredhead11

• Members

Awaiting a barrage of comments saying its a crap amp...

Seriously, I owned one for a year. It was thin and trebly, had a noisy high gain channel and gets really, really hot. There are better amps for the money.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

For the same price, look at a Mesa F-30, F-50 or a Fender SuperSonic. For less, a Traynor YCV50, Peavey Classic 30, 50 or Valve King.

I was really disappointed in the DSL-401 I had. Now that they've double the price on them, they're even less attractive.

I'm looking for a hi gain amplifier with decent cleans...

I have tried the F Series Mesas, and thought the distortion was {censored}ty, but had good cleans.

I was also thinking 5150 Combo, they'll probably go up a {censored}load in price.

• Members

Originally posted by Shredhead11

I'm looking for a hi gain amplifier with decent cleans...

I have tried the F Series Mesas, and thought the distortion was {censored}ty, but had good cleans.

I was also thinking 5150 Combo, they'll probably go up a {censored}load in price.

I just bought a Fender Super Sonic. It's the first Fender amp I've ever heard with really good distortion. Excellent Fender clean and really good hot Marshall gain.

• Members

Here's an exerpt from a local ad I saw today:

Marshall DSL401 Tube Combo Amp for sale - 7/27/06
Selling my favorite combo amp to finance a new bass. 40 watts of all tube Marshall power. 4 EL84's and three 12AX7's -- don't let its size fool you, this one has a lot of muscle and will compete with ANY drummer. Clean channel has plenty of blues-y crunch when you turn up the gain and overdrive channel is JCM900 on steroids, especially when you turn up to eleven with the optional distortion boost (on top of turning up gain to 10). Recently serviced at J Gravity Strings, replaced all of the power tubes with matched Groove Tubes -- just to enhance the sound. With a fine tuning, this amp went from being good to freakin' incredible. Still have included footswitch. These sell for over 1000.00 new online, will sell for $600/obo.
Contact Kari Harris at junkphrases@e-mile.co.uk

• Members

if your intrested in the 201 (20W) let me know. they don't seem to have the reliability/overheating issues that the 401's have. i've never had any trouble with it. i'm dumping it b/c i just don't have any need for it anymore - it was my first tube amp. i now have a marshall head/cab set up and i want to get a combo wth a different flavor.

i replaced the stock speaker with v30. this solved the "thin & trebly" thing that everyone talks about with these. if you liked it in the store you'll like this even more.

i'll give you a good deal. pm me if interested.

later.

• Members

Originally posted by freaksho

if your intrested in the 201 (20W) let me know. they don't seem to have the reliability/overheating issues that the 401's have. i've never had any trouble with it. i'm dumping it b/c i just don't have any need for it anymore - it was my first tube amp. i now have a marshall head/cab set up and i want to get a combo wth a different flavor.

i replaced the stock speaker with v30. this solved the "thin & trebly" thing that everyone talks about with these. if you liked it in the store you'll like this even more.

i'll give you a good deal. pm me if interested.

later.

The V30 is a nice upgrad for a DSL401/201.

I have to agree with the general setiment of this thread, the DSL401 is not the best amp to go with. I am glad I got rid of mine. I loved it in the store when I tried it too, but this has been a few years ago now.

• Members

Does the DSL 201 have enough gain even without that 2nd OD?

Or can I boost it into Metallica/ Slayer/ Megadeth tones with a TS9, DOD 250, or Pro Co Rat?

Will it be loud enough to play at a gig with about 50 people in a small lunchroom?

• Members

I love the marshall distortion, and found it was up for some thrash metal. I could get a great Kill 'Em All tone out of it (after all, Metallica used a Jose Arrendondo modded Marshall). For solos I was thinking of using a TS-9, DOD 250, Pro Co Rat, or a MXR ZW-44 to cut through the mix (or just leave it the way it is). But could also get some sweet sabbath and zeppelin tones.

Archived