mesa f-30 , who owns one, how much they go for in u.s?

rakester

• Members

Hi, i think i want a f-30 combo. I am going to the u.s tommorow and i will be able to get one there cheap (i will use a transformer when i get back to u.k). Are the 1x12 combos loud enough for band practices and small-mid sized gigs? I play hard rock-metal with some cleans in the songs. How much should i pay for one in dollars?

• Members
Originally posted by rakester

Hi, i think i want a f-30 combo. I am going to the u.s tommorow and i will be able to get one there cheap (i will use a transformer when i get back to u.k). Are the 1x12 combos loud enough for band practices and small-mid sized gigs? I play hard rock-metal with some cleans in the songs. How much should i pay for one in dollars?

The F-30 is rated for 22 W, but through the V30 loaded combo, it's really loud. Unless you need really loud clean tones, you should be fine with the F-30. Used, you can get them from $6-800. Of course, you can get an F-50 used for about the same money as the F-30, so don't discount the F-50. Good luck. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Electric I

New I believe they're in the $900 range & used between $600-750. Give or take.

As far as loudness goes, 30 watts should do ya fine.

+1

I was recenltly watching what they go for on ebay and that sounds about right. I got lucky and found one mint for $499 in the HC classifieds, so there are some good deals to be had. ;)

Oh, and it is loud. I would probably use a cab with it in a band situation though, just to get a fuller sound.

• Members
Originally posted by Shredhead11

That Mesa is overrated. Yes, it had nice cleans, but I didn't like the distortion: it seemed too muddy (I EQ'd it for about 15 mins).

Wow! 15 whole minutes with an amp is enough for you to tell that its high praise is undeserved? You're evidently a better judge of an amp than most people. How about you just didn't like the overdrive in that particular audition and leave it at that. :)

If you're willing to give the amp another try, check out the settings in my sig. Also, most any combo isn't going to have tight bass like a closed-back cab, so if that's what you're used to, audition a head/cab instead.

• Members

check the three clips at the bottom HERE!
Clips i did with my f30 combo for another guy asking for examples. recorded at low volume.
and THESE first 5 clips in the player to the left is my bands latest demo, all guitars recorded with the f30 at LOUD volume!
And check out the "f-series lounge" thread as well. lots of good info!
b.r. andershoeg

• Members
Originally posted by serpent561

Hey hal, kinda going OT now but what the hell.

How's the F-series at low volumes, does it begin to sound distant or boxy or lose its punch (just asking for reference for the future).

Like most tube amps, the F-series sounds best when it's got a little volume going. However, my F-100 sounds decent at low volumes, but can sound a lot better with some attenuation in the loop either with a volume pedal, FX MIX mod (sig) or with an FX processor. With my G-Major, I can get really good low volume performance down to below conversation level. Generally, I advise people to audition an F-series amp with the master on channel 2 up above 9:00. At extremely low ranges of the master the distortion will sound buzzy, but that's more due to the speakers not rounding the high end off than the master volume.

Archived