something to remember as a gearhead...

JimAnsell

• Members

all tone sounds better on tape.

my band has been recoding with an amazing engineer in a bad ass room into a big ass SSL board in a studio. the engineer told us that he did nothing to our guitars yet eq wise cause they sounded so good as is.

my amp was miced up with only two mics. i don't know what they were, but one was up close and one was about 3 feet away.

same deal with my other guitar players rig.

when i listen to the rough mixed and pan it to the right to hear just my tone, i think "damn, my tone is perfect!" then i try and nail it with the same exact gear, same exact settings, in a different room, and its just not as good. :(

so keep that {censored} in mind when your spending all your money on gear trying to nail "so and so's" tone.

and yes, this thead is useless without pics, so here they are:

my stuff

IMG_0284.jpg

the other guys overkill rig

IMG_0280.jpg

solid state logic

IMG_0288.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by JimAnsell

my band has been recoding with an amazing engineer in a bad ass room into a big ass SSL board in a studio.

solid state logic

IMG_0288.jpg

Man, I keep hoping that the older 24-32 channel SSL boards will get cheap enough for me to buy one, and it just doesn't happen, lol.

...and can well spell it "miking", please? Everytime I see "micing" I think of cats.

• Members
Originally posted by Coustfan'01

The other's guys head on right seems to be in great condition
:D

the funny thing is, he bought it in really good condition.
then he ripped the tolex off the top and sides, and sanded the top part to the bare wood and never finished sanding the rest of it. he also took the black grill off the front and painted all weird (probably while high and listening to king crimson knowing how he was back then). that was like 3 years ago.
now its got alan trammel and jim leland (last 2 detroit tigers coaches on it), as well as a few other things.
thats Dave Black from the detroit based 80's metal band seduce on the 4x12 with a news paper cliping "detroit rock legend" over it

but he won't so much as let anyone touch that mark IIC+:D

• Members

the funny thing is, he bought it in really good condition.

then he ripped the tolex off the top and sides, and sanded the top part to the bare wood and never finished sanding the rest of it. he also took the black grill off the front and painted all weird (probably while high and listening to king crimson knowing how he was back then). that was like 3 years ago.

now its got alan trammel and jim leland (last 2 detroit tigers coaches on it), as well as a few other things.

thats Dave Black from the detroit based 80's metal band seduce on the 4x12 with a news paper cliping "detroit rock legend" over it

but he won't so much as let anyone touch that mark IIC+

C L I P S ! ! !

:wave:

• Members

Sounds like you had a great time recording. It`s fun when your tone is good. You can really let go and flow.

I remember when I was about 19, I sat in on a session for a friend of mine. He dislocated his finger fighting with his girlfriend and asked if I would lay down some rhythm tracks on a demo his band was doing. We recorded in a basement studio up on the North side of Atlanta. I can`t remember the name of the place, but it was unknown. I was so nervous that I felt sick. I thought those guys were a step up from me and I was afraid I would not be able to pull it off.

I got such a good tone in that basement that I was mesmorized. I just forgot about everything and jammed out the tracks a few times. I just got lost in the moment and the great tone I was getting. That was one of the best experiences of my life. I wish I still had a copy of that demo. I wonder what I would think about it now?

Eric

• Members
Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

. I was so nervous that I felt sick.

Eric

me and mike (other guitarist) both drink a half pint before we record to calm our nerves. the other guys in my band prefer 22's. :D so that takes care of that.

we're basicly recording our demo for free at a recording school.
its called the recording institute of detroit. the advanced recording class is in the upstairs room which has this massive wooden room with the ssl behind the glass. we basicly load in, and go out to the car and drink while the class sets up and gets levels. then we come in and play for about 3 hours. we get to do all of our songs 2 or 3 times each. the guy who teaches the class and engineers is good friends with our bass player. so hes basicly taking the best drum takes from the last 2 weeks and putting it with the guitar tracks we laid down, and this sunday we're over dubbing leads, and then vocals will be last.
hopefully i can post something soon. :thu:

• Members

me and mike (other guitarist) both drink a half pint before we record to calm our nerves. the other guys in my band prefer 22's.
so that takes care of that.

we're basicly recording our demo for free at a recording school.

its called the recording institute of detroit. the advanced recording class is in the upstairs room which has this massive wooden room with the ssl behind the glass. we basicly load in, and go out to the car and drink while the class sets up and gets levels. then we come in and play for about 3 hours. we get to do all of our songs 2 or 3 times each. the guy who teaches the class and engineers is good friends with our bass player. so hes basicly taking the best drum takes from the last 2 weeks and putting it with the guitar tracks we laid down, and this sunday we're over dubbing leads, and then vocals will be last.

hopefully i can post something soon.
:thu:

Sounds like an awesome deal to me. Can`t wait to hear some of the stuff you are doing.

Eric

Archived