Will tube amps work upside down???

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I don't see any reason why not.

The single recto combos are virtually the exact same chassis, just upside down to fit into the combo efficiently.

It would work just fine, assuming the tubes don't fall out.

• Members

You just need to turn up the electron accelerator so the electrons can make it up the hill.:D :D :D

Seriously tube amps can work upside down. Ever notice how some amps have tubes pointing up, some down, some sideways. It cause orientation does not matter as long as you provide the proper ventalation. That is something to keep in mind if you flip your amp over, the vent holes may now be on the bottom.

• Members

I used to stand my old DeVille on its' side a lot, due to those shitty collapsable stages that move around when you play. It was because I put non-locking castors on the bottom, and the thing would travel around the stage sometimes...:mad:

• Members

Yes, that would be fine...as long as they are not horizontal.

The same reason why the Mesa and Marshall 20/20 power amps have so many problems...

The EL84's can not handle being horizontal, and cause major problems...

Also the reason VHT has never made a single space power amp...:D:D:D:D

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by SteveVHT

The same reason why the Mesa and Marshall 20/20 power amps have so many problems...

Also the reason VHT has never made a single space power amp...
:D
:D:D:D

Steve

interesting. so I should appreciate my marshall 9100 more?

even though I have to use 4 spaces (due to JJ 6L6 being much taller than sovtek 5881) :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Sty1es

The single recto combos are virtually the exact same chassis, just upside down to fit into the combo efficiently.

Shouldn't you be trying to get in touch with jerry? :p

• Members

Originally posted by JimAnsell

yes, but they don't work under water.

i learned that the hard way
:(

LOL.

I bet that will be my son`s next question. Or maybe if the amp will work if you throw it out of a flying plane.

He`s nutty, :freak:

Eric

• Members

Steve

Is this why you think amps like the vox AC15 and AC30 which have EL84's horrizontal are known tube eaters?

What's your theory as to why EL84's shouldn't be put horrizontal?

• Members

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Coustfan'01

Shouldn't you be trying to get in touch with jerry?
:p

:thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

On my mark III I have to keep checking that! :cry:

• Members

Steve

I keep hearing this little urban legend, but I've yet to hear or see any emperical data. I've owned both the marshall and the mesa EL84 power amp and gigged with both heavily, and never had a single problem with either.

While it is true that when a tube is horizontal, it is much more prone to damage from vibration as its easier for the filiments to make contact, it is also true that a simple dampening pad between the speakers and the rack gear/amp can remove the vast majority of said vibration thus mitigating the issue.

Gotta love the drama urban legends create.

-W

• Members

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor

Mesa IVs are upside down...

Also in reference to the water comment, I have heard that electronics will work in DISTILLED water. Due to the lack of impurities electronics function just fine. Its the impurities that are in 99% of water that screws them up.

While this is true, any purist can tell you that distilled swamp water (preferably a '68 or '72 vintage) has much better tone then bottled distilled water. Distilled tar also has a much more "crunchy" sound then distilled water from Loche Ness, which has more of a naked, dangling vibe to it.

Neither water nor tar works very good sideways though, so always keep your water upright or upside-down.

-W

Archived