Celestion Blue vs. Eminence Red Fang

drifterphase

• Members

Hi everyone. I am brand new to the forum. My friend is building me an amp based on a magnatone varsity circuit. I understand that it is very close to a tweed champ - so it is going to be a very low watt rig. I know I want alnico speakers.

Are Celestion Blues really worth the money?

How do Red Fangs compare?

Thanks,

drifterphase

:wave:

• Members

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question directly as I've never tried the AlNiCo blues. I do have a pair of Red Fangs in a semi-open 2x12 cab and they really do sound great with one of the new Vox AC30CC heads. They cost about half what the Blues cost, and if the Celestions somehow sound twice as good as these, I'd likely crap my pants! :eek:

• Members

ok,

i have no experience wihthe red fangs, but do with the blues. here is the best way i describe the blues.

they have a round, very very warm bass, nice smooth mids with a dip around 1khz, and beautiful sparkly, but never harsh highs; tons of clarity and yet warmth at the same time. they sound very british. however, the real magic starts when you kick in overdrive. the speakers smooth out, and become VERY juicy and full of extremely complex harmonics; the highs smooth out, the mids get thicker, and the bass seems to tighten up just a bit....the alnico really compresses and sings. the highs are beautiful. there is a reason they cost what they cost; they are the best speaker ever made; truly magical.

i have no experience with any copies.

here are some sound clips of Red Fang and Celestion Blue.

http://www.woodys-guitar-world.co.uk/listen.htm

scroll down and below the eminence speaker clips are the blues. listen for those really juicy harmonics in the clip where the solo takes on an octave lick. this is a great example of the blues' overdrive tones.

• 10 years later...
  • Members
ok' date='
i have no experience wihthe red fangs, but do with the blues. here is the best way i describe the blues.

they have a round, very very warm bass, nice smooth mids with a dip around 1khz, and beautiful sparkly, but never harsh highs; tons of clarity and yet warmth at the same time. they sound very british. however, the real magic starts when you kick in overdrive. the speakers smooth out, and become VERY juicy and full of extremely complex harmonics; the highs smooth out, the mids get thicker, and the bass seems to tighten up just a bit....the alnico really compresses and sings. the highs are beautiful. there is a reason they cost what they cost; they are the best speaker ever made; truly magical.

i have no experience with any copies.

here are some sound clips of Red Fang and Celestion Blue.

http://www.woodys-guitar-world.co.uk/listen.htm

scroll down and below the eminence speaker clips are the blues. listen for those really juicy harmonics in the clip where the solo takes on an octave lick. this is a great example of the blues' overdrive tones.[/quote']Apologies the the link above was dead. It's been re-stablished again under GAS/Speaker Demos:

Archived