Best amp for Nirvana sounds???

Knob_Gobblin'

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would go with a Fender tube combo like something from the Hotrod series or a Twin Reverb. That along with you DS-1 will get you pretty close to the Cobain sound. He's used this combo in the studio. Live he used Mesa Studio preamps into Crown power amps into Marshall 4x12s.

• Members

Are you talking live sound or studio sound? A lot of the studio sound had to do with the production (each album had a significant vibe to it; Bleach had garage-type production, Nevermind had a nice slick guitar sound to it, and In Utero was its own bag with Steve Albini behind the desk).

Our band does a lot of Nirvana-type sound - my other guitar player is a huge Nirvana fan...he has a p.o.s. Fender Stage 90, sounds like a buzzsaw cutting through. However for feedback mania and other stuff like that, it's an okay amp. I think basically any Marshall amp should get you in the ballpark.

Originally posted by warplanegrey

just fart into an SM57

funny, but not necessary...:freak:

• Members

120 watt fender twin from the 80s and a boss DS-2 for dirt. Super Distortion in the bridge pickup of jazzmaster will get you there.

He used the crown and studio pre on nevermind (later changed to Crest 4801), the fender twin was used on the bleech and In Utero. A very simple set-up. Twin, DS-1 or 2, and a small stone.

He also preferred V30 loaded cabs.

• Members

Originally posted by gunslinger

Guitar > Sans Amp pedal > Mesa Studio Pre > Crown Power > Marshall (and/or) Mesa Cabs.......

Note: Studio was set for clean tones, and used the Sansamp for distortion.....

correct, except he used crest power amps later.

he used the ds1 in the first half of nirvana, ten a ds2 in the second half.

• Members

Originally posted by Knob_Gobblin'

... my guitar hero, Kurt Cobain from Nirvana ...

ouch. :( any chance you could set your sights a tad higher? say, a cat?

toss that Champion 110. i have one too and it's an AWFUL sounding thing 99% of the time.

you could always hunt down that DOD Grunge pedal. not sure if they ever actually made any that said "Loud", "Butt", "Face", and "Grunge" on the controls. don't forget to not wash, slobber, and de-evolve a few thousad years. that would likely get you most of the mojo of being the Great Cunt Nobrain.

• Members

Originally posted by BluePowder7

ouch.
:(
any chance you could set your sights a tad higher? say, a cat?

toss that Champion 110. i have one too and it's an AWFUL sounding thing 99% of the time.

you could always hunt down that DOD Grunge pedal. not sure if they ever actually made any that said "Loud", "Butt", "Face", and "Grunge" on the controls. don't forget to not wash, slobber, and de-evolve a few thousad years. that would likely get you most of the mojo of being the Great Cunt Nobrain.

Completely uncalled for man.

But for what its worth, dont get the Grunge. Kurt wasnt a fan of that thing DOD gave him one to capitalize off the whole GRUNGE thing, Kurt through it at the audience.

• Members

Wow thanks for all the replies guys. Yes, my amp sucks.

Blue Powder...you can suck my 15 inch internet cock. When you've sold millions of albums and knocked up Courtney Love back when she was still somewhat attractive then you can talk.

A guy I work with just offered to sell me his Fender Twin or something like that for 300 bucks? Is that a good deal??? Will that get me where I want to be?

I've got a fairly beat up fender Jazzmaster that my brother gave me for my birthday a while ago, and it looks kinda like Kurts guitar I've seen in some videos so I'm set on that I hope.

• Members

Blue Powder...you can suck my 15 inch internet cock. When you've sold millions of albums and knocked up Courtney Love back when she was still somewhat attractive then you can talk.

A guy I work with just offered to sell me his Fender Twin or something like that for 300 bucks? Is that a good deal??? Will that get me where I want to be?

I've got a fairly beat up fender Jazzmaster that my brother gave me for my birthday a while ago, and it looks kinda like Kurts guitar I've seen in some videos so I'm set on that I hope.

You my friend are a lucky guy and next Cobain, congrats!!!!!!!!!

• Members

$300 is a damn good deal.

Archived