No announcement yet.

Best amp for Nirvana sounds???

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best amp for Nirvana sounds???

Hey, I'm looking to get a new amp, and am wondering what would be the best option to help me sound like my guitar hero, Kurt Cobain from Nirvana.

Currently I am using a Fender Champion 110 with a DS-1. What would be a good upgrade for me???
    10 inches -> your butt -> o-face

well Cobain had a preamp and used PA power amps and I think they were Crown if i'm not mistaken. That type of tone shouldn't be all that hard to cop I would think.
    my clips: www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio-JSXJCM800

My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.

Comment

if i'm not mistaken it was a mesa rack preamp but I can't remember for sure. I'm sure if you google Nirvana gear you could find out.
      my clips: www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio-JSXJCM800

My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.

Comment

I would go with a Fender tube combo like something from the Hotrod series or a Twin Reverb. That along with you DS-1 will get you pretty close to the Cobain sound. He's used this combo in the studio. Live he used Mesa Studio preamps into Crown power amps into Marshall 4x12s.
        PROLETARIAT

Originally Posted by Norton666

Man , Ive held off replying to any Klops threads because its kind of like the sweet , naive retarded kid down the street who is out putting in hours on his pogo stick every single night with dreams of someday going pro . You have to admire his ambition and determination , but at some point , he will realize he is retarded and there isnt a pro pogo stick league. I just dont wanna be the guy to tell him . Wait...............

Comment

just fart into an SM57
          HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

Comment

you just need any distortion pedal plugged into any amp
              Rock 'n rolling black/death metal :
              http://www.facebook.com/beerbleeding
              http://www.myspace.com/beerbleeding

Comment

MattACaster is right - look for a Fender tube combo (anything..really), and use a Boss distortion.
                Gretsch Electromatic w/ TV Jones classics
                '55 Fender Pro replica (courtesy of Stu-Daddy amps)

Comment

Are you talking live sound or studio sound? A lot of the studio sound had to do with the production (each album had a significant vibe to it; Bleach had garage-type production, Nevermind had a nice slick guitar sound to it, and In Utero was its own bag with Steve Albini behind the desk).

Our band does a lot of Nirvana-type sound - my other guitar player is a huge Nirvana fan...he has a p.o.s. Fender Stage 90, sounds like a buzzsaw cutting through. However for feedback mania and other stuff like that, it's an okay amp. I think basically any Marshall amp should get you in the ballpark.

Originally posted by warplanegrey
                  just fart into an SM57

funny, but not necessary...
                  Marshall JMP-1 Militia

Comment

Guitar > Sans Amp pedal > Mesa Studio Pre > Crown Power > Marshall (and/or) Mesa Cabs.......

Note: Studio was set for clean tones, and used the Sansamp for distortion.....

Comment

120 watt fender twin from the 80s and a boss DS-2 for dirt. Super Distortion in the bridge pickup of jazzmaster will get you there.

He used the crown and studio pre on nevermind (later changed to Crest 4801), the fender twin was used on the bleech and In Utero. A very simple set-up. Twin, DS-1 or 2, and a small stone.

He also preferred V30 loaded cabs.
                      Amps
                      Fender Bassman
                      Marshall JCM 800 1959
                      Marshall Jubilee 2550
                      Marshall JMP-1
                      Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
                      Sound City 120
                      Roland JC-120H

Comment

From what I've read, it's some thing like this:

Fender guitar with JB in bridge > Mesa Studio Pre > Crown SS amp > Marshall 4x12

Kurt used a DS-1 on Nevermind and a DS-2 on In Utero

Comment

Originally posted by warplanegrey
                          just fart into an SM57

I concur
                          “Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn’t do anything but just jiggle.” Elvis Presley-1972

Rock On
                          Mike

MIM Strat Proud
                          OFFICIAL Bad Monkey Club

Comment

Originally posted by gunslinger
                            Guitar > Sans Amp pedal > Mesa Studio Pre > Crown Power > Marshall (and/or) Mesa Cabs.......

Note: Studio was set for clean tones, and used the Sansamp for distortion.....

correct, except he used crest power amps later.

he used the ds1 in the first half of nirvana, ten a ds2 in the second half.
                            BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER
                            Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.

Comment

I wanna say it was a Fender Bassman amp with a DS-1

Comment

Working...
                              X