Which EL-84 tubes?

Fender Picker

• Members

Power tubes make and incredible difference in tone. In my marshall 9005 poweramp, I have Svetlanas on one side and EH on the other. The difference in tone between them is extremely obvious. They both sound great but the Svetlanas are very middy and will rip your face off and hurt your ears even with earplugs in.... but the EH are much more balenced and sound amazing in their own way just like the Svetlanas...just different. Way different. Experiment I guess...

• Members

Power tubes make and incredible difference in tone. In my marshall 9005 poweramp, I have Svetlanas on one side and EH on the other. The difference in tone between them is extremely obvious. They both sound great but the Svetlanas are very middy and will rip your face off and hurt your ears even with earplugs in.... but the EH are much more balenced and sound amazing in their own way just like the Svetlanas...just different. Way different. Experiment I guess...

• 6 years later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender Picker View Post
Nobody voted for the JJs yet. I figured they would get the most votes.

Do the power tubes have that much effect on tone anyway?

FP
I have never had a set of JJ el-84s that were worth a damn. They go microphonic on me fast and are dark and dull sounding.
I do have a passable pair in an AC-15 but the stock sovteks were better actually. I find sovteks to be much better tubes
than are generally acknowleged on these forums.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender Picker View Post
Nobody voted for the JJs yet. I figured they would get the most votes.

Do the power tubes have that much effect on tone anyway?

FP
I have never had a set of JJ el-84s that were worth a damn. They go microphonic on me fast and are dark and dull sounding.
I do have a passable pair in an AC-15 but the stock sovteks were better actually. I find sovteks to be much better tubes
than are generally acknowleged on these forums.

Archived