Review: Crate V3112

guitar-fish

• Members

I put this review together because there wasn't a ton of information about this amp when I was researching it. Hopefully it helps someone looking for info in the future.

I have been searching for "the perfect" $600 tube amp for the last year. Of course, everyone's vision of perfection is different. My style of music is blues and classic rock, no shred, no metal. I have been playing for 9 years. I play out with friends from time to time, but don't gig.

My wish list: a nice, bell-like clean channel with sufficient headroom; a gutsy overdrive channel, with the option to do high gain hard rock from time to time, without the tone going to mush. I DON'T want to have to use a pedal to get good overdrive. Put all this together in a quality package, don't cut corners on the must-have features, and I'm in.

I researched and played a lot of amps. For a while I thought I had to have an amp with Fender badges on it, and the Hot Rod Deluxe seemed to be the one, but there are just too many things that need to be modded on that amp to get it right (the wacky volume pot and crummy drive channel, for openers). Others on my shortlist: the Fender Blues Jr. and DRRI; Peavey Valveking. I spent a month with the Peavey Classic 30, which was very close, tone-wise, but there were some important things missing.

I stumbled across mention of the Crate V3112 in an amp thread. (This amps is also known as the Crate Palomino V32, sold by GC and Musician's Friend). Though I'd never tried their amps, Crate elicited negatives in my mind. I'd read some bad reviews on some of their amp lines, and had previously written them off as low quality. When I read all the customer reviews on the V3112 that I could find, I couldn't remember reading this many positives about an amp that seemed to have everything I was after. Too good to be true? I had to find out.

The V3112 is made in St. Louis, MO, USA, and is built like a TANK. There were no corners cut when it comes to quality and workmanship, and I say that after opening the thing up and poring over the cabinet, circuitry and wiring. Top quality materials, diligent workmanship, a real solid unit. You could drag this thing around and expect it to hold up well.

From an appearance standpoint, the V3112 is impressive. The black tolex covering has a different pattern from any amp I've seen, yet it's subtle and doesn't draw attention. (Some of the other Crate lines look a little "space ship". This styling was left off the V series). Ditto for the mesh speaker cover. The chrome "30" on the front with the "V" under it is reminiscent of 1960s muscle car styling, but tastefully done. It all works for a great look, which for sure, raises expectations of killer tone. I was prepared to be disappointed, again.

1-Front.jpg

From a features standpoint, the V3112 is generous and well thought out for a $600 amp. Technically a single channel amp, it has an overdrive switch that revs it up into drive territory. Aside from the standard EQs and built-in tank reverb (which sounds fabulous), there are switches for boost and presence. There's also a standby a switch. The included two button footswitch, which is a rugged, all metal switch with indicator lights, allows selecting both channel and boost, making this a real versatile setup.

Behind the amp, four screws mount what I'll call the "control unit" to the cabinet. This unit has all the electronics mounted on it, including the faceplate and knobs, circuitry, tubes, etc. Underneath the control unit are jacks for the footswitch, an effects loop, and a jack for the internal speaker. Unplug the internal speaker, plug in an 8 ohm cabinet, and there you go.

3-Speaker.jpg

5-ControlUnit.jpg

I do have a few small complaints. First, replace the presence switch with a presence knob. If you're gonna do presence, do it right. (The VFX5112, the V3112's big brother, has a presence knob, dual EQs for each channel, and built-in effects for about $100 more).

My biggest complaint with the V3112, however, is with the control knobs, which are bright chrome with small indents to indicate where the knob is set. If you're more than a couple feet away, you can't see where the knob is pointing. You can't shoot a quick glance when playing, for example, and see where your mids are at. You can feel a little indent on the knob, but it's not pronounced enough to be definitive. As much as I don't care for chicken head knobs, you never have any doubt where those things are pointing. The V3112 shouldn't have made it to production with these knobs. They may look great, but function suffers. I'll live with them because I love everything else about this amp, but others may not be so forgiving.

2-Controls.jpg

Since the Peavey Classic 30 is close, tone wise, to the V3112, and many players are familiar with the C30, I want to make a few comparisons. The V3112 has some things missing on the C30, like the standby switch, for starters. C30 aftermarket add-ons (e.g. "Tube Tamer" and "Tube Guard") aren't needed on the V3112 - the tubes are already inside a cage and held in place so they won't vibrate. The V3112 comes with a lighted footswitch, whereas the C30's optional switch has no indicator lights. I much prefer having the boost control on the footswitch on the V3112, instead of the reverb control on the Peavey footswitch. Although the V3112 is about $50 more than the C30, you get a lot more in the package. One area where the C30 is better, especially for the gigging player, is the location of the tubes, which are very easy to access on the C30. The V3112's tubes are tucked inside on the back of the control unit, requiring removal of four Phillips-head screws.

6-Tubes.jpg

7-Footswitch.jpg

PIC: The V3112 Circuit Board

So I'm happy with the look and feature set of the V3112, but how does it sound?. Well, if it didn't sound GREAT, I wouldn't taken the time to write this, so there's your first clue. I don't spend a lot of time playing the clean channel, but I'm very happy with how it sounds. I know a lot of players like a clean Fender amp like an HRD, a DRRI or a Twin, and they use a pedal for occasional overdrive. I'm the opposite, I like a great OD channel right on board. Drawing comparisons again, the clean on the V3112 is every bit as nice as the Peavey Classic 30. For the overdrive channel, take the C30 and give it more, and that's where the V3112 puts you. More guts, more gain and overdrive. Class A, butt-kickin' tube tone. Power aplenty. Sounds good at low volumes, and shakes the building when cranked. From a tone standpoint, everything I've been looking for is here.

A Strat in the four position on the clean channel - Mark Knopfler, "Sultans of Swing". A Texas Special Strat with some mild overdrive - SRV, "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Plug in a semi-hollow, and I'm doing some bayou sounds - John Fogerty/CCR, "Green River". Clapton's Cream tones - no problem. I can describe the look and features of an amp, but you have to plug in and play it to hear it for yourself. All my rattling on about tone is really subjective anyway. To me, the V3112 is the real deal, so if you get a chance, try it.

My V3112, which I got used, had 1 Sovtek 12AX7, and two JJ 12AX7s in the preamp section. This may have been factory, as I've read others with similar configurations, apparently the Sovtek is there to help the clean channel. The power amp section has 4 Groove Tubes EL84s. According to Doug from Doug's Tubes, these are really Ei's with Groove Tubes name on them, and Groove Tubes has stopped offering them. Doug says the Ei's may not last as long as EL84s from JJ's, but they are more articulate. I'm sticking with the Ei's for now, because I love how they sound. Speaker changes? Not interested. It's got a Celestion Seventy 80, maybe not a high end speaker, but I love this whole package and have no plans to change it.

The V3112 isn't for everyone, no amp is. Some people who see the Crate name just move on, I'm sure they have their reasons. I've never played their other amps, I only care about this one, and it rocks. ZZ-Top took the V-series on their 2005 tour, and there are a lot of artists listed on Crate's website who use them, so that says something positive about the reliability and tone.

Poor choice of knobs aside, I give the look & feature set a 9.5. Tone wise, I'll give it a 9.5. Better amps will come along in the future, from Crate and others. For now however, my search is done, I found a great looking, sounding, and playing amp for a price I can afford. Ordinarily I'd give some thought to resale value. Let's face it, a Crate isn't going to draw what a Fender or Peavey. But this time around I don't care, because I'm keeping this one for the long haul. The design team did a good job on this one.

The V3112 dressed in its Sunday best, becomes the Palomino V32

412388.jpg

Check out the V-Series Amplification website.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the clean and clean-dirty tones were absolutely incredible, and every bit as good as many higher priced amps. However, I never could get along with the second channel. It seemed to lack low mids or something. Anyway, still worth it for the tones it excels at. Great amp.

One other complaint....they get rediculously hot....Even compared to other EL84 amps.

• Members

I love my V30H head.It allows me to match up different cabs and speakers to help give me several tonal options.Sweet,chimey cleans and a superb overdrive mode make for a real versatile tonal package.With the gain/treble/bass dimed,mids scooped and the presence button engaged,getting a solid modern metal tone is fairly easy [with the right cabinet]...at least according to my metalhead son.Btw,I really like the footswitchable boost option for solos,which I believe is accessed by bypassing the amp's tone stack.

Ed

• Members

Originally posted by StratTone

The Crate V series amps are a Secret that just really hasn't caught on yet. When they do they will sell like a motha!! I have a V1512.
:thu:

I got one. Palomino V-16. Glad I did. I wanted the V-15 in black but I couldn't wait. I drove down to Charlotte and made the guy at GC an offer. He bit and I now have a keeper. I'm going to play around with some preamp tubes for fun but this little amp cooks right out of the box.

If you're in a store that has a Crate V-Series that you can plug into and play, by all means do so. You won't regret it.

FP

• Members

Very well done review. I have owned the VFX5112 for about a year now and just love it. Mine has the Tone Tubby speaker and I also run it into a 2x12 with two V 30,s and it sounds great. One thing I did with the control knobs was to use a toothpick and put a small drop of black auto touch up paint on the indents. It helps out to "see" were you are with settings.

• Members

Ive owned the Crate Palomino 32 and the Crate V1512 and the V1512 SMOKED THE PALOMINO TONE WISE!!

It may sound crazy and they may have same design/layout, etc but my V1512 just sounds tighter and is the keeper, (Palomino is gone already) the rock tones are really good and if u need more gain/metal just throw a pedal on it..

I cant believe these amps dont get much ink/hype, they deserve more and are GREAT lil Combo amps..

• Members

Originally posted by ***1776***

Ive owned the Crate Palomino 32 and the Crate V1512 and the V1512
SMOKED THE PALOMINO TONE WISE!!

It may sound crazy and they may have same design/layout, etc but my V1512 just sounds tighter and is the keeper, (Palomino is gone already) the rock tones are really good and if u need more gain/metal just throw a pedal on it..

I cant believe these amps dont get much ink/hype, they deserve more and are GREAT lil Combo amps..

Everybody hears differently I guess. Palomino 32 is the exact same amp as the V3112 just different cosmetics. The Palomimo V-16 is the exact same amp as the V1512-same deal. GC just wanted a unique look. Actually I prefered the sound of the V3112 over the V1512.That plus the added features. I also prefer the blond tolex/basket weave grill too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You should have got the tone tubby speaker upgrade. I got mine with it new for $525.

I'm about to change the tubes to electro harmonix (sovteks) to see if it helps the overdrive channel. i've gotten to a max of volume of 4 so i haven't been getting much overdrive since i live in an apartment.

I'll tell you how they sound in a week or so.

• Members

Originally posted by SnowRose

Nice review!

How does this amp accept fuzz pedals or pedals in general?

Like most cathode biased EL84 powered amplifiers,the V30 takes overdrive/distortion pedals quite well.For what it's worth,the series fx loop on my V30H works great with every one of my delay pedals.

Ed

• Members

Originally posted by SnowRose

Nice review!

How does this amp accept fuzz pedals or pedals in general?

I dont know about a fuzz pedal, but it does pretty well/sounds great with my Ibanez Tubescreamer (TS9DX version) :thu:

It really is a great lil amp with LEGIT distortion for a small combo amp, i just wish it had a effects loop for a lil delay pedal but overall a killer lil amp!

• Members

Originally posted by ***1776***

I dont know about a fuzz pedal, but it does pretty well/sounds great with my Ibanez Tubescreamer (TS9DX version)
:thu:

It really is a great lil amp with LEGIT distortion for a small combo amp, i just wish it had a effects loop for a lil delay pedal but overall a killer lil amp!

It DOES have an effects loop:

3-Speaker.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

I've got a set of chicken head knobs coming in the mail for mine.

Does anybody know how to get the stock metal knobs off?

I didn't see a tension screw anywhere, and I tried tugging on it to no avail. I don't want to pull too hard and bend the shaft or anything.

Yes - turn the amp on and let the existing knobs get warm. Then gently pull the knob straight up, and it will come off. I discovered this by accident last week. The heat is the trick.

• Members

Originally posted by guitar-fish

Yes - turn the amp on and let the existing knobs get warm. Then gently pull the knob straight up, and it will come off. I discovered this by accident last week. The heat is the trick.

LOL, wtf? :freak:

Are they glued on? Maybe the heat loosens the glue? :freak:

Is it a standard knurled shaft underneath, that any standard size knob replacement will fit on?

• Members

Crate gets bashed plenty,,,

I fried my JCM 900 so a friend let me borrow his VC 20 (old style, not the new series). 2 El84s, cheap 10" Crate speaker. I was prepared to hear it suck. I assumed it would.

Plugged in my PRS and was completely astounded as to how good it sounded. Put a weber 12" silverbell speaker in it (actually I rehoused in the 900 combo)...good tubes...

nice.

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

LOL, wtf?
:freak:

Are they glued on? Maybe the heat loosens the glue?
:freak:

Is it a standard knurled shaft underneath, that any standard size knob replacement will fit on?

This isn't unusual at all, the same is true when working on cars and other things. With termperature changes, things expand & contract. When they are warm, they come off much easier.

• Members

Best review Ive seen in awhile! Very cool. :)

A friend of mine is just starting to play guitar, and recently bought an SX Strat copy. Since he's a beginner Ive told him to look into the microcube and vox ad15, but I cant help bringing up these little crate tube combo's to him. :D

For cheap tube amps that sound great, these amps cannot be beat IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by guitar-fish

This isn't unusual at all, the same is true when working on cars and other things. With termperature changes, things expand & contract. When they are warm, they come off much easier.

However what is unusual is how hot these amps can get. I've owned a few older amps over the years, and played through a ton of EL84 amps. Yes they all get hot, but the the new crate v-series are off the charts. i just couldn't deal with it personally, not in a small practice room. It would literally heat that room up a few degrees....Crazy but true.

Still say Ch1 has some of the best cleans at ANY price.

Archived